Turkey Meatloaf? >

Turkey Meatloaf?

Community
Notices

Turkey Meatloaf?

Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Turkey Meatloaf?

Hi, I am new actually lurking for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have a recipe for turkey meat loaf? Thanks!!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 PM
FitDay Member

Funny you should ask. I just made this one tonight. I've made it many times, and it is always great. I always cut the recipe in half unless I want meatloaf for two weeks. I also use a lot less oil to saute the onions, and I mix regular ground turkey with turkey breast to lighten it more.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by zootnarf
Funny you should ask. I just made this one tonight. I've made it many times, and it is always great. I always cut the recipe in half unless I want meatloaf for two weeks. I also use a lot less oil to saute the onions, and I mix regular ground turkey with turkey breast to lighten it more.
Thanks--that sounds really good. I think I'll try it this weekend. Does it come out dry? I know my ground turkey sometimes does. I like a little bacon on my meatloaf--nothing like a little bacon grease to help keep a dish moist--def. not for the low-fat crowd, though!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Thanks--that sounds really good. I think I'll try it this weekend. Does it come out dry? I know my ground turkey sometimes does. I like a little bacon on my meatloaf--nothing like a little bacon grease to help keep a dish moist--def. not for the low-fat crowd, though!
No, it's a very moist meatloaf which is why it is my favorite recipe. The sauteed onions with the sauce ingredients make a really flavorful, moist addition that is soaked up by the bread crumbs to keep it from drying out. I also always use a meat thermometer so I can take it out the minute it hits 160 degrees. Overcooking definitely dries it out quickly with so little fat in the meat. It is sometimes so moist that the slices fall apart when it is just out of the oven. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before you cut it, too, so the juices settle in and don't run out when you cut into it.

I'd bet if you put 2 or 3 strips of bacon over the top it would add a lot of flavor and you'd just get a little bacon on each piece. I don't think you have to skip what you really love - just use less of it.

Mmmm, I think I'm going to have leftovers in a meatloaf sandwich today, yum!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM
FitDay Member

I use salsa in my Turkey meatloaf. It is low cal and adds alot of flavor.