Community
Notices

Couch to 5K

Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

I am so excited....First, I finished W1 and my time is what impressed me. I finished 3 miles in 35 minutes. I think I surprised the @!** out of myself but I was excited. Then, I have a neighbor who is interested in becoming my running partner. I am going to repeat W1 with her when she starts...I figure it will work out either way.

The only downside to this was that today the upper part of my hip on the right side (the part you would say shows your hip bone in a bikini or something....(haven't seen that in a while...LOL) Anyone else experience this? Not sure if I should be concerned or not.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

Way to go, Jackie! Having a partner can be so good for motivation. About your hip, make sure you stretch really well after your run and bathe in epsom salts. If it still hurts put and ice pack on it for 15 minutes after each run. I occasionally get some knee pain on my left side, because I dislocated that knee cap years ago and it's been a little wonky ever since but this usually happens when it's very humid out. If it persists I would check with a physiotherapist.

So I can hardly believe this but I just completed week 5 day 3! This means that I ran for 20 minutes without stopping!!!!! I am so proud of myself! I can't believe I did it! Woohoo!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

Mtlgirl.....it feels great doesn't it! What a milestone....It is the one that lets you know you CAN do it and you have proven it to yourself. Congratulations! I am looking forward to getting there again myself. I cried after that run I was so thrilled with myself. You should be very proud!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 AM
FitDay Member

Jackie, thank you so much! Your post touched me. I really do feel proud and I definitely got choked up when I realized I was going to do it. It will happen again for you too... before you know it! I am cheering you on!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:01 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Fitness Friends!! Just wanted to check in again and let you know that this thread has so inspired me and I did my first walk/run tonight! I'm approx 100lbs overweight so I'm doing a modified version but if I'm consistent and long term with it, I hope to change my life. I have a local 1/4 mile track and so I power walked the first lap then ran about 1/3 of a lap, then power walked, then ran, etc.. for 4 laps. It's a start!!! Glad to be here. This has given me new hope for changing my life.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:05 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Susan! Congrats on starting! It doesn't matter if you don't start exactly how the program starts, you are exercising and will work your way up.

Mtlgirl, that first 20 minutes was so hard for me. I remember being nervous about it and by minute 16 I was ready to quit. It really is an accomplishment to get to 20 minutes.

tjkhoover, wow! 3 miles in 35 minutes! That is amazing! My last run was 2.73 miles in 30 minutes at a pace of 5.4, but I haven't been able to run more than 30 minutes in a stretch yet.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

Is it okay to walk/run 2 days in a row? I know with weight training they always say to take a day off in between. Is it the same with walk/running? Occasionally my schedule works out that I have 2 days in a row available and I would like to exercise both if that's not a problem.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Susan8Less
Is it okay to walk/run 2 days in a row? I know with weight training they always say to take a day off in between. Is it the same with walk/running? Occasionally my schedule works out that I have 2 days in a row available and I would like to exercise both if that's not a problem.
I try not to, but if you have to due to your schedule, then do it. I wouldn't make a habit out of it though. My sister-in-law did the C25K at the same time as I did, but she added runs on my off-days. She often couldn't run as far as I could, or had days where she had less energy. Resting is good too, and you can cross-train on those days.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:26 AM
FitDay Member

Avelina, you're so right. The first 20 minutes was so daunting for me and I always find the first half harder than the second. I could hardly believe when I looked at the time and saw that I had one minute left. I was in shock. I thought I had like 5 minutes to go. That was a great feeling, knowing I was going to make it.

Susan I agree with Avelina, I would try to avoid running two days in a row. Your body, especially your knees, really need the rest from running. If you want to exercise 2 days in a row, try to do something different on the second day. I've gotten amazing results from Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. It's a 20-minute workout and it is jam packed with exercises that produce really noticeable results. I've been doing this 3Xweek on the days I am not running. Also, welcome to our little club and best of luck with your training!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:30 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Fitness Friends!

I skipped a day and did my second walk/run today. It's tough sledding for me since I haven't run for years and I'm carrying so many extra pounds but I'm able to do 1k power walking that includes 3 x 100 metres of running. The walking park is a breeze and I'm getting better at breathing to make the 100 metre stretches. Looking forward to making some slow progress!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.