Notices

Activity calorie frustration?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default Activity calorie frustration?

I just started this today. I LOVE IT! But, I'm very confused/stupid about figuring out activity calorie burn. I do the eliptical for 30 min and can't find it on the activity list. Why is there no "custom activity" like there is for "add custom food." I just want to type in the calories/distance that the eliptical machine told me I did. Also, does anyone agree with the metabolism burn formulas? Mine says I burn like 2400 a day....that can not be right! Just looking for accuracy...please help.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
FitDay Member

Check the other thread called "Fitday Admin!!" IT covers this topic. Several people use treadmill/ergometer.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

Based on other calculators and experience with losing/not losing weight, I estimate that fitday's calculations for calories burned, both for sitting around and most exercise activities, is about 50% more than (i.e. 1 1/2 times) what I actually burn. So if I subtract about 1/3 from whatever they say my daily calorie burn is, the math adds up better for what I'm seeing on the scale. I don't think I have an abnormally slow metabolism, their figures just seem high, like you said. So maybe try 1800 as your starting point and see how that works.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 PM
FitDay Member

a few years ago when I used this site I put the elliptical under cross country ski or something of that sort, and it seemed to be pretty accurate. Now on the calorie counter business, I felt that when I entered my time in on the treadmill on this site it seemed about 50 cal. low. It was the lowest from what the treadmill said, and two other sites.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

i run with scissors;
I totally agree my treadmill said I burned 189, the activities counter on here said 122 calories, a 67 calorie deficit. I sweat hard for those burned calories, & I want every one of them. LOL!!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Fitday calories are on the low side for me, too. I wear a heart rate monitor that calculates the burn and it is always higher. I hope the monitor is right
Old 01-31-2010, 01:18 PM
FitDay Member

Exclamation bur rates....

I find the burn rates to be low here too, by about 50 cals each method. My bike tells me how many burned for an avg person, and because I am almost 250 lbs I actually burn more than that... but this site tells me less than my bike!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

from 18 jan through 30 jan i ate 32,540 cals and burned 40,352 according to fitday. that would give me a 7812 cal deficit, or 2.2 lbs according to their 3500 cal per pound estimate. according to my bathroom scale i dropped 2 lbs.

so far then, fitday seems to be right on with my input vs. output. i run, and the calories it lists for my runs seem to be about 30% higher than what i get from my heart-rate monitor (hrm says about 80 cals/mi, fitday about 110).

it's just one data point so far, and i'll know more in another two - three weeks. but since the calculator here seems to make sense, i'm inspired to keep using it now.

almost hit 5000 cals burned yesterday, with a 10mi run and 8mi hike... no wonder i slept 11 hours!