Notices

What happens if you eat too much protein

Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default What happens if you eat too much protein

Hi, I have noticed in my diet I am eating way too much protein, somedays even as much as 200%, how does this effect my weight loss?

Any help is much appreciated.

Amy
Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

When you look at your pie chart of caloric intake, does protein dwarf the fat and carbohydrate portions of the chart?

In general, it's difficult to eat a lot of protein without eating a lot of fat that is part of the meat cut, or the cheese, and that adds up to calories. Otherwise, long term, the dangers that have been hypothesized mainly have to do with kidney function, I think. In which case, if that's your life-diet, it's something you can discuss with your doctor (who may mention kidney function).

As far as your weight loss goes, it's calories that determine that. When you eat plenty of protein, it tends to be satiating (satisfies appetite, at least temporarily). As long as you're watching your calories, you should be OK. But, then, you'd be the best source of information about the effects, because you're the person who's monitoring your own weight loss.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:35 AM
FitDay Member

Thank You, I did not look at the fat, I am having more fat than protein, and way more carbs than both. I am changing my diet to try and eat less, but as a very big meat eater I have to have something on the side and I am not sure what will be the best, any ideas?

Thank you for the replies.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Meat really loads on the fat grams (which are not necessarily visible -all you can do is trim the meat and yet there are still lots of fat grams in the meat) but skinless boneless chicken breast is a good option if you just want protein. Egg contains fat as well, which is why people who watch calories gravitate to egg whites (Egg Beaters, for example, is made up of egg whites, mainly).

Vegetables will give you carbs, but they also give you fiber and good nutrition. If you are eating a lot of bread and grains, that inflates your carbs, too. And, unfortunately, fat may be contained in the bread, too, along with other things. High fiber crackers give you more fiber and less fat, usually with lots less calories.

If you've ever looked at your pie chart of carbs/fat/protein and seen them balanced pretty evenly, make a note of what you were eating that day from your food log and keep that as a guide.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

The chart is based on the RDA (recommended dietary allowance). I personally disagree with the RDA's chart. I think it is outdated and biased because of the government agencies that set those recommendations.

Everyone is different so what works for some may not work for others.

This is my chart so far for today. I have used 436 calories and the chart says I am at 100% of my protein intake for today. I disagree since I am only at 46 grams of protein. I will take in twice that or more by the end of the day while keeping my macro's about the same as what they are now. That is ideal for me because I feel and look much healthier eating higher protein/fat, lower carbs.

Fat 30% Carbs 27%

Protein 43%
Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM
FitDay Member

Eating too much protein long term can have negative effects: a build up of ketones which puts kidneys under stress, calcium depletion, dehydration.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carolynnq
Eating too much protein long term can have negative effects: a build up of ketones which puts kidneys under stress, calcium depletion, dehydration.
Did you get that from google or are you talking from personal experience?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

long term high protein intake diet

is the search argument I use in Home - PubMed - NCBI.

780 results will come up but you can scan the results to find what is the most relevant and/or the most readable. Some results have free pdfs which will show the text produced by a study in its entirety. These include all the references, which are really useful for understanding why people even study high protein intake and kidney function.

If you look to the right of the abstract you are reading, you will see a smattering of 'related citations' and if you follow these, you will find interesting things directly related to some aspect of your search. You can save what you find in 'collections,' which are basically numbered labeled folders.

When I read a blog that declares some provocative statement from a 'recent study,' I always look up the study on NCBI. It's usually very interesting and sometimes I take away an entirely different impression from what was stated by the blogger. If there's a PDF available (free), I give that a look if it seems worth investigating.

For example, the free PMC article attached to 'Effect of a High-Protein Kidney Function in Healthy Adults: Results from the Omniheart Trial,' which is the sixth result of the 780, has the text and references to get you started.

If you sign up for NCBI use, which is free, they will send - to your e-mail - all the results of your search argument (see above) every day, if you like, with no spam. If you're interested.