View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
carolynnq
FitDay Member

Good for you for working out regularly.

Do you know what your triggers are for bingeing?

One of mine was getting too hungry. Then I'd go to get something to eat - and eat, and eat, and eat.

Now I have snacks built into my daily meal plan. I have a snack 10-10:30 am, around 3 pm, and 8 pm. Snacks are things like a hardboiled egg, an apple with a little peanut butter, half an apple with a small slice of cheese, a nonfat yogurt, etc. When meal times roll around, I'm hungry, but not ravenous.

I know you're never supposed to take a whole bag or carton or whatever to eat (for example, put 6 crackers on a plate instead of sitting down with the whole box). I do that - but then is the temptation to go back and refill the plate. So if I can stop myself, I'll go and brush my teeth, call someone to chat on the phone, do some aerobic exercise for 5 min, go for a short walk - anything to distract myself. Distraction doesn't work all the time, but it's working more and more often.

Another trigger for me was late-night eating. About 10 pm I'd get hungry and often eat another meal's worth of food. I made a rule that I couldn't go into the kitchen after 8 pm. I broke it a few times, but most of the time, I'd get to the entrance to the kitchen and turn around. I think my body's adjusted to my eating schedule - I rarely feel hungry late at night now (the 8 pm snack probably helps too).
1st Goal 145 lbs 5/25
New goal 140
carolynnq is offline   Reply With Quote