View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
lcriswell0421

Default Have you found a suitable replacement for take out pizza?

My family usually orders take out pizza from Pizza Hut or Papa John's at least 3x/month. I love pizza. I can't resist having some when we get it. But I log everything, so I know how much fat/calories/carbs/sodium are in a slice, and then I have guilt and regret when I'm done. I've been on a quest for a suitable replacement so that I can get a taste of pizza without all the crap that comes along with it.

I recently made a crustless pizza, where the crust was made with a couple eggs and cream cheese. You had to eat it with a fork...couldn't pick it up, but it tasted really good. And then when I calculated all the calories, holy crow was I ever shocked! Definitely very low in carbs, but the calories were astronomical.

Then I got some Xtreme Wellness low carb/high fiber tortillas. I gave each side of it a quick spray with pan spray, put in the oven and got it crispy on both sides. Used some jarred sauce, and some mozzarella cheese and thought I'd made myself a healthy pizza. Boy, was I ever wrong. One slice of Pizza Hut hand tossed cheese pizza has 320 calories, 12g fat, 6g sat. fat., 38g carbs and 15g protein. One of my little tortillas was even worse with 350 calories, 21.5g fat, 11.5g sat. fat., and it was better on carbs with 21 and better on protein with 19. What the heck??? So much for that idea.

Question is, have you found any good alternatives to take out pizza? I would love to hear your ideas. Pizza night is coming quick.
lcriswell0421 is offline   Reply With Quote