View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #91 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Day one and I already missed a goal *headdesk*
But I did make it through 18 things on the list, plus a few things I had forgotten to put on there (ahem, bills!).

1. Calories 1200 or fewer. 929
2. Do some sort of exercise every day. Nope
3. Eat clean. Yes
4. Get enough fluids. Meh
5. Get enough sleep. Yes
6. Log and post. Yes

Most of today I'll be volunteering with my son at the organization we work with; they are having their Fall Classic tournament. There will be kids here from many states; kind of like Special Olympics but just tennis. It should be a beautiful day and a lot of fun.

Still have not gotten caught up with you all, but welcome back to Quinn and April. Hope, I am glad you have power, and hope you can get detoxed from the carbs. I never felt the pull of a "carb addiction" until recently, but it is there. I think its probably because I've been letting the wrong sort of carbs in.

Lisa, I just saw your post. I have had the experience of working with my son. Like your daughter, he's not fat, but because he stayed on the short side for so long (5'4.5" now! but I guess that's still on the short side ), he always had the appearance of being a little chunky, even though he was physically active. I basically just tried to share information...like why protein was good, why we choose complex carbs, and how to do the "trade off" thing, like, well we had pizza for dinner, so maybe dessert should be fruit instead of frozen yogurt; tomorrow is fish, so froyo would be okay then. Basically I talked my thoughts through out loud, like when he asked what was for dinner, etc, and told him why I made each choice, or when I suggested snacks like, for example, having high protein after he had just played a match.

I read a study not too long ago about how much younger girls are starting to "go on diets." I think maybe framing it as being healthy, eating smarter, making better choices, etc. can be a mindset that she takes with her into adulthood. Jenn has some very good thoughts above; I love the walking idea. Your daughter is lucky that you are knowledgeable and eager to learn more and to help her. It is easier when you have a buddy, especially when you're a kid.

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote