Notices

Snack attack

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 PM
FitDay Member

Default Snack attack

I thought it would be good to have a thread about what we eat to satisfy a craving without going completely off the rails. Here's a few of mine:

Bored snacking: cup of hot tea, celery sticks, grape tomatoes, pomegranates in season. Cut em in half, pick out the seeds, takes forever to eat one . Red grapefruit, peeled like an orange and then peel the segments one at a time. Can you tell I eat out of boredom a lot? lol

Salty snack: Claussen garlic dill spears (the refrigerated pickles by the lunchmeat)

Crunchy: celery sticks, Goldfish crackers, baby carrots

Fatty: String cheese sticks, peeled just a little at a time to make it last

Sweet: Small lollipop stolen from the kids, popsicles, Fudgesicles
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM
FitDay Member

I could go for a snack right now. Man I'm starving. My fave snacks are:

Pudding cups, I usually get the Kozy Shack "no sugar added" variety, chocolate is my absolute favorite, but I generally eat the tapioca, because it has 30 fewer calories (70-100 calories depending on the flavor).

Carrot sticks dipped in veggie dip made out of Greek yogurt (150 calories).

Apple slices dipped in caramel flavored Greek yogurt, this is a great pick-me-up and around 200 calories, with a whopping 14 grams of protein to boot.

Micro popcorn, Act II 94% fat free - usually the whole bag unless I'm forced to share it (105 calories).

Frozen blueberries in vanilla honey yogurt (132 calories).

Small handful of nuts, usually almonds, but sometimes cashews (I like cashews better, but sometimes eating them makes the cravings worse). What I really want is to eat the whole can, so I have to be careful with them. First I measure out the amount (usually 1 oz), then close the can and put it back into the far back of the pantry cupboard and get a giant glass of water. Then I eat the nuts 1 at a time and take big gulps of water in between, and I won't let myself eat the last nut until the whole glass is gone (172 calories).

Tuna with a little squeeze of ff ranch salad dressing stuffed into fresh mushroom caps, sometimes broiled, sometimes cold - it's an acquired taste (approx 200 calories depending on the salad dressing).

Oranges, I usually go for an orange when I'm really hungry and craving something sweet. There are days I could eat it peel and all, but so far I've resisted that urge and managed to get the peel off beforehand (62 calories).

Can you tell I'm perpetually trying to get protein into my carb heavy life?

Last edited by almeeker; 04-05-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:49 AM
FitDay Member

my fave snacks:

tuna with a little miricle whip and mustard: I just eat it with a fork

glass of chocolate skim milk: satisfies the sweet tooth and the protien fills me up

veggie chips: so good, but not very filling

a fiber one bar or fiber plus bar: satisfies the sweet tooth and the protien fills me up
Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

I try not to snack too much to keep my calorie count within my "budget" but if I am really craving a snack, I will eat Baked Kettle Chips. 170 calories for about 30 chips. You can eat half the large bag for 250 calories. For me chips and salty foods are what I crave and these are really good. They are real baked potatoe chips. Yummy.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 AM
FitDay Member

Hmm...

salty snack - buffalo jerky (I try not get too much because it's expensive... )

sweet snack - dark chocolate (like crazy dark, >85% - hard to eat a lot at once)

fatty snack - slice of real cheese (like from a wheel) or glass of whole milk; an avocado if I'm really hungry

finger foods - nuts and seeds

fruits/veggies - bananas, small citrus (clementines and minneolas are my favorites), carrots (what's up doc?), plums, pineapple chunks

...mmm

-Nik
Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

I eat hummus or salsa with veggies (nix the pita/tortilla chips to keep the calories down). I also like a slice of lunchmeat (just watch the sodium content) and a piece of low fat cheese with some mustard. Hard-boiled eggs are great too.

Coffee or hot tea are great fillers for me when I'm feeling snacky and don't have calories to play with.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:19 AM
FitDay Member

I struggle with this one too.

Jello Sugar Free puddings are about 60 cals per serving.
I also eat one square or mini bar of Vosges chocolate. It's good, and VERY expensive, so you don't need much. They have a Sugar Free Barcelona Bar (almonds and sea salt) that is wonderful.

Hot tea is a good one to stave off an attack.

Light cheese sticks, Jerky of some kind. Almond butter w/ apple slices.

Now I'm hungry.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

Great thread!

Caramel yogurt with apple slices dipped in sounds great, will try that. Must try the dark choc too to see if it's true that you need less to satisfy your craving as chocolate is my downfall (along with wine). I do have a low-cal hot chocolate drink to try and resist.

My snacks are, apples, grapes, almonds, sugar free jello, yogurt, a couple of wheat crackers with an extra-light laughing cow cheese triangle (about 60 cals). I also do the hot tea/diet soda thing if I'm struggling for cals. Not very exciting, sorry! :/
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 AM
FitDay Member

almeeker, tuna in mushroom caps sounds delicious to me.

-I drink a lot of herbal tea in the winter
-high fiber low cal crackers--certain Wasa brands
-any kind of veggie
-I generally bake 2 small sweet potatoes per week and use them as snacks
-glass of milk with vanilla and fake sugar in it--makes a great milk shake
-fat free yogurt mixed with fruit, cocoa powder, or vanilla--and maybe some splenda although I'm trying to cut back on my fake sugar intake
-25 calorie hot cocoa from swiss miss
-meat cold cuts--turkey breast, ham, or roast beef
-chickpeas
-sliced tomatoes
-grapefruit

Last edited by blackrhino2; 05-12-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:29 AM
FitDay Member

Here are some of my fave snacks:

- Hard boiled eggs
- Strawberries
- 1 square of really dark chocolate (only once in a while)
- Cucumber slices
- Frozen veggies (cooked )
- MORE WATER with lemon slices

I'm pretty new to this (Well, new to taking it really SERIOUSLY) so I hope I'm on the right track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.