Originally Posted by adamsonb2
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a little mentoring, constructive criticism, and motivation.
I'm in my mid-thirties and I nearly self-destructed over the past five years. I am a former athlete and military man that stayed in shape until my late twenties. I was an on-and-off gym-rat that dabbled in supplementing via creatines and whey proteins. After leaving the military, my wife and I had our first child. Throughout my wife's pregnancy, I gained the weight with her. I was around 215 pounds and in fairly good shape before...and here it is 5 years later and I'm over 290.
I'm a bit overwhelmed since I let things get so out of hand. I get out of breath going up stairs sometimes...and even tying my shoes can be a pain in the ass with my big gut in the way. The biggest problem is that while I knew I was getting huge...I never changed the things I did. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I noticed I had to rock to get up from the couch...and found out I couldn't zipline at our whitewater center because I was over the weight limit. How embarrassing!
I started working out again a little over a month ago. I had been walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes about 3 days a week, and lifting weights in a push/pull/legs fashion. My eating and sleeping habits hadn't been addressed much...as I know they should.
So today is the day I start rectifying all of this. I had been having a hard time staying motivated...but going anyhow. My gym partner was a bit lazy and doesn't really understand the gym and excercise overall. I'm not new to this, but it has been a while.
Here's where I stand right now:
1. Diet...plans are to can the cans...and stick with proteins and fresh veggies
2. Supplements: NO XPLODE, Tribulus from ON, Green Tea Extract, and Muscle Milk after my workout
3. My sleep habits suck as I tend to stay up late...I'm trying to rectify this with a bed and wake time
4. Along with my bad sleeping, I tend to eat at night...I know this is horrible
5. Beer...frankly...I like good beer...I figure...and ONLY on the weekend attitude must happen...even though I love a full-flavored beer or two at the end of the day.
6. Motivation: I want to get back in shape...and need to figure out how to overcome a wishy-washy workout partner (thank God for my Ipod).
7. Goals: I want to be around 200-210 pounds again, I want my gut gone, and I want some lean muscles again. I have two kids and a wife...so meals become the issue sometimes.
8. My statistics: Male
* Any help or suggestions anybody may have would be appreciated. Ideas for supplementing or working out...or any tricks or advice. I am a person that actually uses constructive criticism to improve.
**and thank you to any of you that took the time to read this
I like giving constructive criticism.
If your gym partner isn't teachable don't let him/ her hold you back. Try to give you partner a good understanding and if he/she isn't "on board" go it alone. Don't let someone else be your excuse or hold you back.
1. diet is key, the sooner and better it is, the sooner and better your results will be.
2. I don't know about Tribulus, but I'd be afraid to mix NO XPLODE and green tea. That seems like a lot of caffeine. If you are looking for a Vasodiolator get some L-Arginine b/c it won't have the caffeine.
3. they say sleep is inportant, I assume they are right
4. IMO eating at night isn't that big of an issue. When it comes to timing of food or nutrients I think the biggest thing is after a work out.
5. same as #1
6. round is a shape
. Don't let yor partner be your crutch!
7. #1 plus heavy compund lifts.