FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just men (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/)
-   -   Repairing the Damage (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/4201-repairing-damage.html)

adamsonb2 05-04-2011 07:48 AM

Repairing the Damage

Hey everyone! I'm looking for a little mentoring, constructive criticism, and motivation.

I'm in my mid-thirties and I nearly self-destructed over the past five years. I am a former athlete and military man that stayed in shape until my late twenties. I was an on-and-off gym-rat that dabbled in supplementing via creatines and whey proteins. After leaving the military, my wife and I had our first child. Throughout my wife's pregnancy, I gained the weight with her. I was around 215 pounds and in fairly good shape before...and here it is 5 years later and I'm over 290.

I'm a bit overwhelmed since I let things get so out of hand. I get out of breath going up stairs sometimes...and even tying my shoes can be a pain in the ass with my big gut in the way. The biggest problem is that while I knew I was getting huge...I never changed the things I did. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I noticed I had to rock to get up from the couch...and found out I couldn't zipline at our whitewater center because I was over the weight limit. How embarrassing!

I started working out again a little over a month ago. I had been walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes about 3 days a week, and lifting weights in a push/pull/legs fashion. My eating and sleeping habits hadn't been addressed much...as I know they should.

So today is the day I start rectifying all of this. I had been having a hard time staying motivated...but going anyhow. My gym partner was a bit lazy and doesn't really understand the gym and excercise overall. I'm not new to this, but it has been a while.

Here's where I stand right now:

1. Diet...plans are to can the cans...and stick with proteins and fresh veggies

2. Supplements: NO XPLODE, Tribulus from ON, Green Tea Extract, and Muscle Milk after my workout

3. My sleep habits suck as I tend to stay up late...I'm trying to rectify this with a bed and wake time

4. Along with my bad sleeping, I tend to eat at night...I know this is horrible

5. Beer...frankly...I like good beer...I figure...and ONLY on the weekend attitude must happen...even though I love a full-flavored beer or two at the end of the day.

6. Motivation: I want to get back in shape...and need to figure out how to overcome a wishy-washy workout partner (thank God for my Ipod).

7. Goals: I want to be around 200-210 pounds again, I want my gut gone, and I want some lean muscles again. I have two kids and a wife...so meals become the issue sometimes.

8. My statistics: Male
6'2
290+

* Any help or suggestions anybody may have would be appreciated. Ideas for supplementing or working out...or any tricks or advice. I am a person that actually uses constructive criticism to improve.

**and thank you to any of you that took the time to read this

01gt4.6 05-04-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by adamsonb2 (Post 45536)
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a little mentoring, constructive criticism, and motivation.

I'm in my mid-thirties and I nearly self-destructed over the past five years. I am a former athlete and military man that stayed in shape until my late twenties. I was an on-and-off gym-rat that dabbled in supplementing via creatines and whey proteins. After leaving the military, my wife and I had our first child. Throughout my wife's pregnancy, I gained the weight with her. I was around 215 pounds and in fairly good shape before...and here it is 5 years later and I'm over 290.

I'm a bit overwhelmed since I let things get so out of hand. I get out of breath going up stairs sometimes...and even tying my shoes can be a pain in the ass with my big gut in the way. The biggest problem is that while I knew I was getting huge...I never changed the things I did. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I noticed I had to rock to get up from the couch...and found out I couldn't zipline at our whitewater center because I was over the weight limit. How embarrassing!

I started working out again a little over a month ago. I had been walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes about 3 days a week, and lifting weights in a push/pull/legs fashion. My eating and sleeping habits hadn't been addressed much...as I know they should.

So today is the day I start rectifying all of this. I had been having a hard time staying motivated...but going anyhow. My gym partner was a bit lazy and doesn't really understand the gym and excercise overall. I'm not new to this, but it has been a while.

Here's where I stand right now:

1. Diet...plans are to can the cans...and stick with proteins and fresh veggies

2. Supplements: NO XPLODE, Tribulus from ON, Green Tea Extract, and Muscle Milk after my workout

3. My sleep habits suck as I tend to stay up late...I'm trying to rectify this with a bed and wake time

4. Along with my bad sleeping, I tend to eat at night...I know this is horrible

5. Beer...frankly...I like good beer...I figure...and ONLY on the weekend attitude must happen...even though I love a full-flavored beer or two at the end of the day.

6. Motivation: I want to get back in shape...and need to figure out how to overcome a wishy-washy workout partner (thank God for my Ipod).

7. Goals: I want to be around 200-210 pounds again, I want my gut gone, and I want some lean muscles again. I have two kids and a wife...so meals become the issue sometimes.

8. My statistics: Male
6'2
290+

* Any help or suggestions anybody may have would be appreciated. Ideas for supplementing or working out...or any tricks or advice. I am a person that actually uses constructive criticism to improve.

**and thank you to any of you that took the time to read this

I like giving constructive criticism.

If your gym partner isn't teachable don't let him/ her hold you back. Try to give you partner a good understanding and if he/she isn't "on board" go it alone. Don't let someone else be your excuse or hold you back.

1. diet is key, the sooner and better it is, the sooner and better your results will be.
2. I don't know about Tribulus, but I'd be afraid to mix NO XPLODE and green tea. That seems like a lot of caffeine. If you are looking for a Vasodiolator get some L-Arginine b/c it won't have the caffeine.
3. they say sleep is inportant, I assume they are right
4. IMO eating at night isn't that big of an issue. When it comes to timing of food or nutrients I think the biggest thing is after a work out.
5. same as #1
6. round is a shape ;). Don't let yor partner be your crutch!
7. #1 plus heavy compund lifts.

mecompco 05-04-2011 10:01 AM

Mike gives great advice. I, too, love beer. Once a week didn't work all that well for me--I had to go to once a month, more or less. You may have to tinker with how much you can get away with. Beer has lots of cals (especially the kind you and I seem to like) and of course alcohol messes with the liver which is also what metabolizes fat.

Other than that, just freakin' decide to do it, no matter what and git-r-done.

Regards,
Michael

sw07 05-04-2011 10:13 AM

Mmmmmm...beer.....I try to keep it to only a few on the weekends and only as a "reward" - not a weekend binge like the old days.

vabeachgirlNYC 05-04-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by sw07 (Post 45553)
Mmmmmm...beer.....I try to keep it to only a few on the weekends and only as a "reward" - not a weekend binge like the old days.

I don't binge on beer but I love the stuff so I work my macros around it when I am going out. :D

sw07 05-04-2011 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC (Post 45554)
I don't binge on beer but I love the stuff so I work my macros around it when I am going out. :D

Macros?

adamsonb2 05-04-2011 11:57 AM

Yea, I know the beer can't go down the ole swill pipe like it used to. My fatness causes me to have heartburn with way too many things...including beer. I've managed to keep around a steady weight while still drinking beer, but I'm never going to get my weight back down with it. I'll save it for occasions and celebrate at my Oktoberfest party. Steins of Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Brats & Kraut, Schnitzel, and some polka. I'll need to drop at least twenty just for that.

adamsonb2 05-04-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 45541)
I'd be afraid to mix NO XPLODE and green tea. That seems like a lot of caffeine.

This is my first day trying the two. NO XPLODE on an empty stomach before hitting the weights. When I got home I drank two servings of Muscle Milk, ate breakfast and took my Tibulus with a green tea extract. We'll see if I sleep tonight.

I'm not one to fake myself into thinking supplements work if they don't. I took two scoops of the NO XPLODE and I was a bit sluggish at the gym. I haven't felt any Tribulus effects yet either. I'm sure I just need to get the creatine in my muscles for a bit before I notice anything. We'll see tomorrow. I put in 5 miles, basketball, and weights today...so I'm gonna need a boost in the morning.

01gt4.6 05-04-2011 01:18 PM

the one supplement that I used that made me insane in the gym was 1M.R. but the crash for me was pretty bad. I used it like 3 times and I couldn't handle it.

adamsonb2 05-06-2011 03:49 AM

Day 3...

The NO XPLODE had to be upped to 3 scoops. All I feel is a caffeine driven tingle. It is however helping my recovery. I hit my chest and tricepts pretty hard the other day and the two-day-later soreness is almost nonexistant. The Tribulus still seems to do nothing. The green tea extract has minimal caffeine so it didn't keep me up. I am skeptical as to whether or not anitoxidants in pill form work in the manner intended.

Tomorrow is going to be a test. We go to watch our local roller derby girls (insert joke here) whenever they have a match. PBRs are only $3 for 24 oz. cans...and it's a double header. We will be going to a hybrid resteraunt afterwards known for their outstanding burgers and sushi...yes...you heard that right. I love both burgers and sushi...but only having sushi while I watch my buddy bite into a burger with thick-cut bacon...guacamole...onion straws...jalapenos...aged cheddar...pickles...and bbq sauce is going to kill me! I think I'll just have to split one with my wife. She's running an 8k trail run in the morning and I'm sure she'll be ready to reward herself...and I'll guilt her into sharing half of her burger...lol.