View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaldabus View Post
Tandoorichicken, that seems like pretty solid advice. Right now my main circuit is the Beachbody Insanity program, but after that I want to shift focus from fat burning to muscle building. Any advice you can give? I'm especially curious about the dietary aspect, as up until now I've had it oriented more towards burning fat than anything else.
Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program is a solid program for anybody looking to build some muscle alongside a decent strength base, regardless of weight room experience. It's the program I'm planning on doing after I finish my current mass phase and diet down for the summer/beach (... so I'll be starting around July-ish).

From a dietary stand-point, I generally eat a lot of protein and fat, but I structure simple carbs around a workout session (I do a lot of heavy lifting which drains glycogen, which if left under-supplied, slows down recovery) as well as complex carbs at the meals following my workout to help replenish glycogen. If it was a particularly grueling session I eat some complex carbs the following day as well. Controlling my carb intake helps me control fat accumulation.

You'll probably have to increase your calories by a bit over basal burn rate to build muscle. Shoot for 1g/lb lean mass of protein per day, consume the majority of your daily carbs around your workout session and don't skimp on the fat (though the obvious exception is the trans kind - stay away from this stuff - duh).

Good luck!

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote