View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
RunbikeSki
FitDay Premium Member

Default Welcome to distance running!

Hey smoore,
Congrats on running for more than an hour - that's a real accomplishment.

Lots and lots of folks have found that they have a hard time dropping the weight once they get into a serious training program and there have been several threads over the last year from folks complaining or concerned about how hungery they are during training. 2 things seem to be going on with newer runners. One is that you are building a lot of muscle while losing the fat and (as I am pretty sure you know) muscle weighs more, ipso-facto, the scale doesn't move as far or as fast you would would like. And full body aerobic/anaerobic exercises like running, swimming, biking etc just tends to kick in the appetite/digestive system for many of us.

So here's a little personal history:
I've been a pretty serious, but recreational, runner for many years. When I first started back up again after a bit of an hiatus during grad school, I drop about 10 pounds pretty quickly, but maintained about 30lbs over weight for almost 10 years, even with modest attempts at dieting. As far as fitness goes, I was definitely in the upper 90%, but still over weight. In 2009 I also reached a plateau where I just couldn't go any faster no matter how hard I trained. So last year I decided to lose the weight in order to be a better runner (weight loss first, then train). I didn't stop running, but I wasn't pushing very hard either. Mostly I was focusing on calorie control and a variety of exercises, not training for a race. After about 2 1/2 months I lost the 30 pounds and then got back to serious training. I was shocked (pleasantly) how much faster I got with very little effort. And with a little more effort podiumed in my age group and have continued to be near the top for my age.

Now, not everyone has this experience. There have been several folks on the forums, particularly guys, that have had great success with rigourous training and weight loss. It is just such and individual thing.

So I guess what I am saying is that running is a super exercise - don't stop! But you may not see the same results some folks brag about in the magazines and websites. Your experience seems to be pretty typical for many of us.

Pam
RunbikeSki is offline   Reply With Quote