View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #30 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsabino View Post
I want to try the Atkins induction for 2 weeks but I'm not sure I know how to calculate the net carbs. I thought you just had to do tot carbs - fibers, but then in the CARAMEL CHOCOLATE PEANUT NOUGAT BAR from Atkins how do they come up with 2g net carbs if the tot carbs are 22g and the fibers 10g?
Maybe its something about the thermic effect of food? Maybe the process of digesting 10g of fiber increases your rate of metabolism enough to burn off an extra 10g of carbs, leading to 2g of net carb just floating around... This is just a guess.

One thing you could try is to do the Atkins diet phases using whole foods instead of the processed Atkins products. I don't find them to be much better than other processed "health" packaged foods (granted I've never actually eaten any just looked at the labeling).

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote