Notices

heart rate question

Old 06-20-2010, 03:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default heart rate question

ok I'm 29, male, 226 lbs and 5'10". My resting heart rate is around 48-50 beats per minute. My wife says that this is very low. I was just wondering is this is normal or if she is right, again lol. Also if someone could tell me what would be a good target range in order to lose weight would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:41 AM
FitDay Member

That IS very low. Most Adults (age 18 and over) 60-100 beats per minute is normal. I would see your doctor just to be sure. Mine was that low and had to have a pacemaker. You may not. But just to be certain it is OK, go see a doctor... here is info on the other questions you asked.

Target heart rate
You gain the most benefits and lessen the risks when you exercise in your target heart rate zone. Usually this is when your exercise heart rate (pulse) is 60 percent to 80 percent of your maximum heart rate. In some cases, your health care provider might decrease your target heart rate zone to begin with 50 percent.

Do not exercise above 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. This increases both cardiovascular and orthopaedic risk and does not add any extra benefit.

The maximum heart rate is the highest your pulse rate can get. To calculate your predicted maximum heart rate, use this formula:

220 - Your Age = Predicted Maximum Heart Rate
Old 06-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

It may depend on your fitness level. Before I began my program, my resting heart rate was about 80 bpm. It's now in the mid to high 50's, after six months of working out diligently. But I second the opinion to consult your doctor, just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I just read that the marathoner Deena Kastor has a resting heart rate of 32! But for us meer moderately fit mortals the high 50s is fine as long as there are no other pre-existing conditions.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
FitDay Member

I'm with RunBikeSki on this one. The better shape you are in, the lower your seated heart rate tends to be. My mom works in an ER and every now and then they get what they refer to as a "low beater", which is either someone that needs a pace maker or someone in better than average shape. So if you're in really good shape and have a low HR, fine. If you're in less than great shape, discuss this with your doc.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 AM
FitDay Member

Go to your doc and if he sees nothing wrong then I suggest you take up an endurance sport because if you're rocking a 50bpm heart rate while being overweight you probably have outstanding genetics for it.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:01 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah, I think that's low but I couldn't say if that's good or bad.
If it doesn't give you trouble, then it probabily isn't bad, I guess.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

Are you a naturally easy-going person? Chronic stress can usually boost resting heart rate.