Thread: Tired of diets!
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
RunbikeSki
FitDay Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOsborn View Post
I see and hear this all the time---eat 5 or 6 times per day. But what does that really mean?
I don't know...

For me, the basic 3 squares really work best. I may have an afternoon snack, rarely a morning snack beyond a cup of coffee or tea. I just have a nice healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner. When I'm reducing calories that comes up to 1100 to 1200 cals, when I'm maintaining it is around 1900 cals. And I have been pretty sucessful losing 30 lbs in 3 months maintaining for 6 weeks and about to start to lose the last 10.

The problem I have had in the past is that the 5 or 6 "small meals" turn into 5 or 6 kind-of regular sized meals. Or I try to take a regular meal and eat it over 2 or 3 eating periods and just find myself feeling deprived.

I know all the gobbldy-gook about wanting to maintain blood sugar, but if you don't have any preexisting metabolic issues like diabetes, and you eat a nice balanced meal low in simple sugars in the first place, your body is built to handle the mild ups and downs of blood sugar.

BTW, I do not mean to diss those who have found that eating every 2,3 or 4 hours really helps, believe me. This is all about finding out what works for you. But just letting folks know that I'm one who hasn't found that to be very helpful, and there may be others like me (although I have be told that I am an oddity... that's a compliment, isn't it?? )

Pam
RunbikeSki is offline   Reply With Quote