Thread: Fad Diets
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you there, lighten. I strongly suggest you read the debate between T. Colin Campbell (author of "The China Study") and Loren Cordain on the efficacy and necessity of protein here (pdf). IMO Dr. Cordain has the more compelling argument (in favor of greater protein intake), mainly because he clearly cites over 150 different scientific studies in support of his statements. Dr. Campbell, on the other hand, offers up a few quite dated in-text references in his position piece, which is also written in what seems to me a condescending, almost sarcastic tone. Furthermore, Dr. Campbell makes blanket statements like "a variety of adverse health effects have been demonstrated and these effects are remarkably consistent among ... studies" without actually offering up any evidence at all.

So I feel the arguments stack in favor of getting more protein, especially if you are a regular exerciser. The dangers of protein intake are largely exaggerated in the healthy population. It's only problematic if kidney disease is already established. Personally, I wouldn't call high-protein a fad.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote