View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mern
FitDay Member

I'm on the run today--10 and 12 year old grandkids are at my house this week on spring break. But DH took them out to eat, so I have time to catch up with our thread.

Everyone, best wishes on your goals this week!

Mike and Ian--how are you two doing?

Jenn, thanks for starting us out. Good job on water becoming a habit!

Libby, best wishes on your cholesterol and BP management without meds. I'm really lucky--at age 67 the only meds I'm on are eye drops for glaucoma. My blood pressure has always been normal. I refused the statin meds prescription for high cholesterol because I'm not willing to accept the potentially serious risks. I never take meds without first researhing the side affects and deciding whether I want to risk them. It's my body--I have the final say and, even if my doc disagrees, she respects my decision. My doc approves of self-help, but warned that some people can manage high cholesterol with diet and supplements but some people can't manage without medication--depends on how much is hereditary. She recommended a dosage of fish oil and red yeast rice supplements based on my blood tests and physical exam. We all know that supplements should not be taken without our doctor's knowledge because they still change body chemistry and can interact with meds and other supplements being taken. Have you talked to your doc about alternatives to your meds?

JenniferP1, glad your nice weather is helping with your motivation and energy levels.

Jenai, I LOVE your posts--I never think anyone is talking too much here! Great solution to abstaining from diet soda. That's using your noodle! Great inspiration--I need to look into solutions like that. I eat reduced fat cheese but find it only slightly more satisfying than no cheese at all--except for the Laughing Cow cream cheese wedges which are delicious and come in so many flavors. I love pork, but we have it only a couple times a month. OMG, your chicken, broccoli, cheese burrito literally made my mouth water! I'm going to write than one down. I tried a mushroom Rheuben sandwich on a Foldit yesterday (Swiss Laughing Cow cream cheese, sauerkraut, and portobella mushrooms grilled in a Foldit. It was good, but not a satisfactory replacement for a corned beef Rheuben. Sliced turkey works better than mushrooms in that sandwich.

Debbie, you and I are polar opposites this week on the food tracking. I have to return to it strictly--tried without it and kept my blood sugar normal, but found I need to track to manage LDL cholesterol.

Back to strict guidelines that got me to normal cholesterol without meds in the past. Goal should be more like 7-10% sat fat, but that's unrealistic for me.

Daily targets:
Calories: 1200-1500
Saturated fat limit: average 12% of total calories
Dietary Cholesterol limit: average 200mg
Net carbs limit-total carbs less fiber: average 25g
Fiber minimum: average 25g
Protein minimum: average 110g

Log every bite of food
Water 64 oz.
Exercise 5 days
Post non-scale victory
Weight 6/25/2014 233 that obviously included a lot of water retention