Thread: Wine
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
hegira13
FitDay Member

Default Wine

I am a 50 YO female, married for over 20 years, no kids, and clinically about 30 lbs. overweight.

I eat well, mostly, tho' I do cave a couple of times a week for some pizza or comfort good that isn't all that great for me.

Currently, I exercise about 3 times a week.

Alcohol, specifically, wine, has packed on the pounds over the years. That and a sedentary desk job, and MENOPAUSE. I would come home from work and have a glass of wine when making dinner, then another with dinner, then yet another (or two) after dinner. Bad, I know, I know, I know.

It frustrates my husband, and he is not attracted to me anymore. He can drink those heavy, big beers, 3-4 a night himself, and is still within range of his "fighting weight" which frustrates me! But this extra weight I'm carrying is my problem, not his and I'm finally owning up to that.

What is emotionally difficult for me, and this is personal, but I am putting it out there. My husband wouldn't care if I drank twice as much as I do now, as long as I was thin. That really hurts my feelings. It is disrespectful of me, I feel, and to my health. And he completely discounts menopause as a factor. I'm tired of the debate.

Bad news, good news:

I recently was laid off from my job and we live in an area that is very conducive for physical activity. Now, for the first time in many years, I feel like I have the time and the energy to come up with a plan for myself to help me achieve my goals.

I went to a new doctor and he said, "Get your drinking under control, or quit. Otherwise, you are healthy." Hubby hated hearing that. I still am not sure why. Maybe because he drinks? Maybe because the doctor didn't say 30 extra lbs. was going to kill me?

I don't know. Anyway...

My Plan:

1) Exercise 5 x a week. 30-45 min. cardio, 2-3 strength training (I can walk to our rec center which has a gym...no excuses there).

2) Continue to eat clean.

3) 2 drink minimum per day or no more than 14 drinks per week. This was my doctor's reco. I know women should have no more than one, but it is a starting point and a reduction from where I am now.

Today I stepped on the scale and was 182.1 lbs. I am 5'5". My goal is to get to 150, then 140, but first 170! I honestly don't know how long it will take. I quit smoking years and years ago, and I thought that was hard...somehow I think this will be right up there on the determination scale (pun intended).

My gyno suggested a South Beach type diet as his observation has been that this is the most effective for menopausal women who have gathered too much "girth."

Sorry, this post has gone all over the map. I appreciate any support. I am scared and excited to be doing something good for myself.

Del
hegira13 is offline   Reply With Quote