Notices

I Am In Need Of Support

Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy I Am In Need Of Support

So, I started out at 157 lbs, and now I weighed myself and I am 160.2 lbs. My friends tell me it is because menstruation causes weight gain throughout the month. I am just disappointed that I am working out and eating healthy and I am gaining. I started my routine on May 14th.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah it is true, being on your period can make quite a difference in weight and in measurements of the abdomen. If you are on your period,then you can conclude the culrpit is that. It's because our body starts retaining water, and salts make it worse, doesn't even have to be alot of salt. It's discouraging I know, but I have heard of an instance where a girl continued excercising and dieting fervently on her period despite gaining about 2 pounds, and after her period was over, she lost 5 in a matter of days...2 was from the weight gain, and the other 3 was from her hard work...so hang in there, it will go pretty soon. Just keep working and you'll see the difference afterwards.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

i totally agree with deatharrow on this. i also gain weight around the time i'm having my period, but the week after, it just disappears! hang in there, next week you'll have a big weight loss! just continue with logging your food, and exercising. also limit your carbs to good carbs and pay attention to your calorie intake.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there,

Remember, it will take about 3 weeks to see results. Keep in mind, what you do this week, you will not see until next week. Eat good and exercize 5 days a week for at least 2 weeks, and see what happens. Hang in there, visualize your goal, and keep telling yourself WHY you are doing what you are doing. You can do this. You will feel amazing.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
FitDay Member

the same thing happened to me this past wkend. It was that time of the month and despite all my hard work and watching my caloric intake gained 2lbs on my weigh in Friday morning. The following monday morning I was down by 4lbs.... don't be discouraged and try not to weigh yourself during "that time" cuz it can be a real motivation killer. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

When you work out for long periods of time your fat turns to muscle and it wieghs more.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

So let's look at this logically. A pound of body mass equates to approximately 3500 calories. You had been working out for 10 days when you originally posted. You gained 3.2 pounds in those 10 days. 3.2 X 3500 cal = 11,200 cal. 11,200/10 = 1120 cal. That means you would have had to consumed 1120 calories daily over your maintenance to gain 3.2 lbs of fat. If you have been logging all your food you will probably find this is not the case. Stick with your plan, make sure you are getting enough protein and the results will come.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Technically, fat does not "turn" to muscle; it's a completely different process to lose fat and to gain muscle.

If you engage in strength training, you will gain muscle weight, but it doesn't happen that fast. I am more inclined to believe that there are fluctuations in water weight that is the reason for the gain.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lindalew3
When you work out for long periods of time your fat turns to muscle and it wieghs more.
Technically, fat never turns to muscle. Fat does not have the chemical structure (proteins/amino acids) needed to build muscle. Fat stores can be used for energy and if a person excercises and ingests sufficient protein they can use the fat for energy and the protein to build muscle at the same time. Fat and Carbohydrates can't be converted to muscle. If you diet without sufficient protein intake you will lose muscle. This is why it is so important to take in sufficient protein even if you are only trying to tone. Not bashing just want you to be informed.