FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Losing weight before pregnancy (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/975-losing-weight-before-pregnancy.html)

anderson02 04-28-2010 08:50 AM

Losing weight before pregnancy

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this but I am working very hard at not only getting healthy but also losing a few pounds before my Husband and I try to conceive. I went on a diet the day I stopped taking my birthcontrol pills. Fitday has been great as far as keeping track of my calories but also in making me more aware of my overall eating habbits; I really like the reports section! :)

I don't have a lot to lose but if I am going to pack on around 25 pounds with pregnancy, I would prefer to start down that road at a lower weight. I plan to continue using fitday when pregnant to not diet but to watch nutrients and make sure I don't over do it on calories.

I am 5'5" and started out at 151 and have already lost 6.4 pounds in about 2 1/2 weeks which is great. I suspect it will slow as much of that was probably water weight. My goal would be to get down to between 135 - 142. In the past anything under 142 was difficult to maintain but I will continue to eat right and see where that takes me.

I am limiting myself to around 1200 calories a day, watching my fat intake, and walking on my treadmill for 40 minutes M-F.

jonr71 04-28-2010 08:36 PM

Sounds like you are really making the right moves. All that nocturnal exercise should burn a few pounds too;-)

One thing you might want to consider on the treadmill that will aid fat burning is to walk uphill rather than on the flat. Even if you walk more slowly, an uphill walk will increase your heart rate and help tone your legs. Go as steep as you can!

Good luck!

anderson02 04-29-2010 01:39 AM

Thanks jonr71.

I have actually worked up to an incline of 5 on the treadmill. The last few weeks I have added an 1 1/2 hour walk outside on Sunday so I am not ready to increase the incline anymore as, due to that added workout, my legs feel pretty tired towards the end of the week. I don't know if the weather will allow for my outside walk this weekend so maybe I will go for an incline of 5.5 or 6 next week.

anderson02 04-29-2010 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by jonr71 (Post 9638)
Sounds like you are really making the right moves. All that nocturnal exercise should burn a few pounds too;-)

Ha ha...Should I log that under "Activities" on Fitday?!?!

almeeker 04-29-2010 06:37 AM

Nope, just type in "sex" at the activities prompt and it will give you lots of options...

When you get ready to actually conceive, you may want to increase your calories, 1,200 is pretty low. I actually don't have a period if I'm consistently below 1,500-1,600 calories, but everybody is a little different.

montanacricket 04-29-2010 06:44 AM

My experience with pregnancy and childbirth was unusual. I didn't lose the weight prior to pregnancy and gained about 45 with each child during the pregnancy. Interestingly at my 6 week post partum, I'd lost all of that plus almost 20 pounds. My body apparently likes being pregnant more than the rest of me (I guess maybe my attitude, or brain or whatever).

In going back over my habits, I actually didn't have my normal cravings while pregnant. I craved fruits and veggies, and cottage cheese (with my 2nd it was a quart of cottage cheese a day--took me almost 2 years to be able to eat it again), instead of snickers bars, buttered popcorn or other sweet or salty things.

I didn't have any health complications due to the weight either.

Good luck with your pre-preggo weight loss though and especially good for you on the exercising part! SO important!

anderson02 04-29-2010 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 9682)
When you get ready to actually conceive, you may want to increase your calories, 1,200 is pretty low. I actually don't have a period if I'm consistently below 1,500-1,600 calories, but everybody is a little different.

Thanks almeeker. I do get my period with a 1200 calorie diet. I am only at that lower amount to shed some pounds; I am actually between 1200-1400 but try to stay close to the 1200 mark. Once I do get pregnant I plan to increase that amount to a maintenance level. That amount will depend on what my weight is at that time. Then of course add about 300 more during the 3rd trimester.

I joke that I will probably lose weight at first since I will have to give up beer!! LOL!

This would be my first pregnancy so who knows how my plan will really pan out but I want to try and be as healthy as possible.

dlavie 04-29-2010 04:51 PM

You may want to talk to your ob/gyn about your diet/workouts, an increase may cause a slowdown in your "cycle" and mess up your conception calculations.

A primal reaction linked back to our days of being nomads, don't want to get "knocked up" while the tribe is moving.

Runner's World addressed this on women endurance athletes.

jillrider 04-30-2010 03:09 AM

Hi Anderson02. I saw your posting and I am in the same boat. I am 5'6 and started around 145 and over the course of a year or two have gotten to 135 (down from size 8 to 4!). I have to tell you, I hovered at 141 for a VERY long time until I upped my calories to about 1700 a day. When I plateaued, I was at about 1400 a day, and as it turns out, I think that was too little (I work out about 4-5 days a week for 30 minutes). It is scary to up your calories, but I would suggest that you try it for one week and see what happens. I was SHOCKEd, but delighted :)

anderson02 04-30-2010 05:10 AM

Thanks jillrider. I am at 143.4 this morning and a size 8. I was just thinking that it was about time to add back in a few calories to mix things up a bit and get my body use to a few more calories without putting back on what I have lost. I think I should start slow though. Did you increase your calories gradually? If so, do you recall at what rate?