Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
What's the most successful ratio? >

What's the most successful ratio?

Community
Notices

What's the most successful ratio?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default What's the most successful ratio?

Hi,
I'm new here and as I chart my food on a daily basis, I wonder what is the recommended balance of cabs, proteins and fats? Or, is there a recommended balance? I need to take off close to 50 lbs,
Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 AM
FitDay Member

Every "body" is a little different, I've found for myself that my best losing ratio is 45-35-20 carbs, proteins, fats. Of course having said that I've never been able to get my proteins above 40-45, I'm not doing Atkins or South Beach and the diet I naturally gravitate towards is borderline vegetarian. You have to play around with it a little to figure it out for your own body.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
FitDay Member

As an example of the different "bodies" idea, my personal mix is about 30-25-45 of carbs, protein, fat, give or take 10 between all of them on any given day. What I'd suggest is play with a couple of ratios on paper, use them to come up with tentative meal ideas, then take two weeks to try out each plan. Your body will tell you which one(s) work best for you.

Good luck!

-Nik
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Good suggestion Nik

I like the idea of do a couple of paper calculations to see how the balance fits into your current eating ruitines.

Brandy, as look through these posts you will read lots of folks recommending that you try to change only one or 2 things at a time. It is advise you should take seriously. If you normally get 75% or your calories from carbohydrates, trying to shift to 30% overnight will not only be tough emotionally, but tough on your body.

So start with what's going on now and develop a long-term plan to get where you want to be in the future. It's a marathon, not a sprint. And you want time to embed new habits into your life.

Now get going, girl!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

This question is a little like asking what are the right hours to sleep. As others have said, it depends on what works for your body. I do best at about 50-30-20 (carb-protein-fat). I went through the experimental phase also and it's my belief that you really can tell when you hit on what works, and what doesn't. But it's important to listen to your body, not your brain, which is going to tell you that you need cupcakes.

The only caveat would be if you have any medical conditions and need to reduce carbs or fat in order to improve triglycerides, cholesterol, etc. In that case, ask your doc.