FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   got skates? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/937-got-skates.html)

redhotamy 04-24-2010 06:00 PM

got skates?

I have just started rollerskating agian. It has been 20 year since I ruled Skate place when I was 13 years old. I have found a great rink near by and I go with my daughter age 9. If you skate 2 hours you burn around over 800 cal.

Skating is just like I remembered it... skate fast to your favorite song trying to remember those old tricks.... (staying away from that snack bar is a new one for me ) I have had good luck I have not fallen yet...this time it is a higher fall then when I was 13:)

almeeker 04-25-2010 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by redhotamy (Post 9259)
Skating is just like I remembered it... skate fast to your favorite song trying to remember those old tricks.... (staying away from that snack bar is a new one for me ) I have had good luck I have not fallen yet...this time it is a higher fall then when I was 13:)

And a much longer heal. I like skating too! And my kids love it. The only problem is that 2 of my 3 don't skate well, so they hang on to my hands and I do my best to keep them upright, by the next day my legs feel fine, but my arms hurt so bad I can hardly get dressed. The good news is they all love it and the middle child is about to go completely solo. So I think skating is a really good option for a full-family workout. The DH is a HUGE hockey fan, and so he likes ice skating a little more, but he'll do either one. And in the winter if you're lucky enough to live near a slope you should try downhill skiing. The last time we went I was down 3 pounds the next morning, and I spent the entire time on the bunny hill. With your skating abilities learning to ski would be a piece of cake, as it takes similar leg coordination. And if you love the speed of skating, skiing is that much faster!

anderson02 04-29-2010 06:09 AM

I use to rollerblade years ago and found it to be a great workout. Unfortunately where I live now is not as flat and I have trouble stopping! :o

almeeker 04-29-2010 06:30 AM

Have you looked around for a skate park or a roller rink? Much safer and flatter playing surface to be sure. Also there are other people there to help pick you up off the floor.

VegaSinclair 05-05-2010 05:15 AM

I use to love going to the roller rink. It was a good workout. About ten years ago I bought some nice Roller Blades and did that for a while. There was a decent paved trail that went through the city. I've recently moved and the area I live in has a long paved pedestrian trail that I think it about 20 miles long and would be perfect for getting back into Roller Blading. There aren't any roller skating rinks around me.