Notices

need help with losing weight

Old 04-30-2012, 10:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default need help with losing weight

I'm 17 years old, 5'6 or 5'5 and 126 lbs and I'm trying to reach 115 but it seems like I'm not losing any weight. I've only been eating nutritious foods and been running, aspeed walking, cardio and pilates exercises and I 'm not sure what else I should try. If you have any suggestions or tips please help. Your tips and suggestions will be much obligied. Thank you
Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 PM
FitDay Member

It's very likely that at that weight, you don't really have any to lose.
If you have visible abdominal muscles, you're not only at a healthy weight, you're at a reasonably low body fat level.
It's not a good idea to set a weight goal without knowing your lean weight/body fat percentage.

When I was your age, I was 5-7, 130 lbs with muscular legs(I'm a guy) otherwise skinny as a rail and well under 10% body fat.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM
FitDay Member

Exercise is an important part of losing weight. Incorporate physical activity into your life at least three times a week. Go for walks, join a gym, or take up a favorite sport. Walking for an hour a day dramatically improves the performance of the heart.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Hi there,

At 17, you're also still growing!

At 5'6" or 5'5", you're at the lower end of your healthy BMI at 126 - I'm 5'4.5", and 110 is at the lowest extreme end for me before I am underweight, for example. It might be that your body is just at a nice ideal weight. How do you feel about your body? Is the number driving you regardless of how you look or feel? Numbers are less important than that, in my opinion. I'm not trying to dissuade you, just looking at it from another angle! It sounds like you're already pretty fit!

I agree with handcycle - if you have the ability, try to figure out your lean body mass (fat percentage). It should be around 20-25% for the average fit woman (if you're an athlete, being as low as 15% is okay). If you're a guy, around 15% is considered a good number for fitness (maybe slightly lower) and if you're an athlete, around 10% is fine. Women in general should have more body fat

You could also try incorporating more strengthening into your workouts - muscles will help burn more calories at rest. Are you drinking lots of water, as well?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 AM
FitDay Member

Maybe it's time to add in some load-bearing bodyweight exercises like squats, push-ups, and lunges. A good program to follow would be something like One Hundred Push-Ups. You'll accomplish both extra fat burning and muscle building at once.

Also, one of the most important things I've noticed in the last few years for both muscle building and fat loss is good quality sleep. You can't accomplish your goals if you don't give your body a chance to recover from exercise and the general stress of the day. Lack of sleep raises cortisol, the stress hormone, which in turn makes your body hang on to fat.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by carolinamanroe
You must try some natural process like exercise , meditation, eating health good like this, tale daily mild water early in morning. If your weight problem is very critical then you must try some good weight loss product to get instant result.
I cannot understand why you would recommend to a 17 year old that is in seemingly good health and not overweight at all to take a "good weight loss product".
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by m.hanson
I cannot understand why you would recommend to a 17 year old that is in seemingly good health and not overweight at all to take a "good weight loss product".
Because it smells like spam is about to happen...spammers don't read posts but instead post canned responses, then a few days later, come back and post a link.

Regardless, I'm removing that. It's horrible advice.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 AM
FitDay Member

What I hate most about these threads from many different forums is why so many people are wrapped up on some #. Have you even had you bodyfat tested? In six months you'll be 1/4-1/2" taller and it will change what the bmi calcs will show. We should all throw our scales out and just buy fabric tape measures. Unless you are losing body fat nothing else matters. Imagine if you lost 10lbs of fat and added 10lbs of muscle-oh no you still be 126lbs. I never try to reach a weight but a %. Too many people will make themselves sick just to hit some #. If you have a store/gym nearby go there once a month and test your b/f.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM
FitDay Member

Default I disagree!

Originally Posted by ronaldo89
It is very easy to loose your weight with exercise and diet. You can do exercise daily and or should walk minimum 30 minutes in a day. You will see that you are loosing weight in few days. Your diet must be cholesterol free and zero calories.
I don't believe there are any studys that would back up your assertion that your diet needs to be cholesterol free. I eat 3 whole eggs daily and have lost over 45 pounds since starting. No study that I am aware of has ever linked dietary cholesterol to weight gain.

I also take exception that the diet must be zero calorie. ZERO? Really, why would you tell a healthy 17 year old to fast? While fasts may provide some cleansing and de-toxification properties they also introduce stress on the body and deprive it of needed nutritents. There are better alternatives (like eating a balanced 500-1000 calorie deficit diet and exercising.)

While I am sure walking 30 minutes a day and eating zero calories would produce weight loss it is a short term solution at best and dangerous at worst.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Spam waiting to happen, Ron. The IP address is Pakistan, the post is nonsense...all the risk factors; hence, the poster is now banned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.