FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   food scale? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/6961-food-scale.html)

hippie_girl 03-19-2012 05:04 AM

food scale?

Does anyone else weigh the majority of their food or is it just me?

mecompco 03-19-2012 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by hippie_girl (Post 76537)
Does anyone else weigh the majority of their food or is it just me?

Oh, absolutely. Almost two years into this I still weigh and measure most things. You do get better "eye balling" food with practice but anything potentially "dangerous" I make it a point to check. I think a food scale and measuring cup are two of the most important things to get when entering into a lifestyle change like this.

Regards,
Michael

terrienne 03-19-2012 09:22 AM

I measure most things when I can. I'd rather be safe than sorry when I look at the scale the next weigh in. :)

ToriD1012 03-19-2012 09:35 AM

I agree with Michael. I measure just about anything that I would normally overeat in the past. About the only things I don't are onions, lettuce and carrots LOL!!

fit4luv 03-19-2012 09:40 AM

I agree with Terri & Michael.

I weighed things a lot for about 3 months, but now I do less because I know more what a portion/serving/oz is. When I have doubts or I want to give myself "pop" quizzes, I weigh food. In fact, last week I made a point of weighing & measuring certain foods only for the reason to see how correct I was. I surprised myself at how well I "guestimated" certain items.

fit4luv 03-19-2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ToriD1012 (Post 76569)
I agree with Michael. I measure just about anything that I would normally overeat in the past. About the only things I don't are onions, lettuce and carrots LOL!!

The reason I would measure lettuce & carrots is to make sure I get enough. That is a weakness of mine. Sadly, I'm not naturally a low-starch veggie lover (except for green beans).:(
BUT I am making progress in liking the lettuce family and doing better with eating enough servings. I cannot for the life of me, see myself overeating on those type of veggies!

volleyballgranny 03-23-2012 05:30 AM

I weigh everything...especially onions. Onions are fairly high carb--lots of natural sugar. I want the flavor, not the bulk. :)

One thing I will do is weigh a food and then package a lot at one time. If I know that 4 oz of cabbage is a serving size and it fills up to the green line in my glass bowl, I will measure the first portion and then portion out the rest to the green line.

MarineO1 01-23-2014 09:21 PM

Yes i do it because my gym instructor advised me to calculate calories of my food and i have a digital fool scale in my kitchen.I am always interested to get approximate count of calories in food.

Smithmorkal 02-04-2014 08:58 PM

I think for control over you weight you must have a control over your diet. So you must need a proper weighting instrument that help you in measuring the weight of your diet. Which help you in control your weight.