FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   "Emotional Eating" (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/6823-emotional-eating.html)

karle216 10-26-2012 09:52 AM

I've delt with emotional eating for years and found that the only real way to cure it is to get some real help with the depression. The food is a drug you are using to self medicate and without addressing the underlying reason it's an endless, painful cycle. Believe me ! Also get your self a good nutritionist who uses Nutrition Response Testing. They can balance your hormones and get your body on the right track for optimum weight loss. Food allergies and intolerances an also cause weight gain as well as Candida yeast overgrowth which affects 3 out of 4 women !! Good luck and stay happy !

rebeccaleeb 10-28-2012 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by snafuken (Post 74536)
How do you rid yourself of this hideous lifestyle?
What has helped you change from a " Live to eat" person,
to an " Eat to live" person.
What works ?? What doesn't ??
I applaud those that have learned to win against this struggle,
and not continually sercome to the desire to eat for the sake of eating.
Any Shrinks out there ??:rolleyes:

good idea from you

emmajohnsonlive 11-05-2012 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by snafuken (Post 74536)
How do you rid yourself of this hideous lifestyle?
What has helped you change from a " Live to eat" person,
to an " Eat to live" person.
What works ?? What doesn't ??
I applaud those that have learned to win against this struggle,
and not continually sercome to the desire to eat for the sake of eating.
Any Shrinks out there ??:rolleyes:

Great question.

Here's a few tips that I learned along the way that have helped me...

- Discipline
- Focus on the present moment rather past and future
- Make the decision a "must" instead of a "should"
- Visualise yourself in your perfect body
- Make the reason to eat healthy be bigger than the reason not to
- Don't ban yourself from favorite foods, you will crave them more
- Eat smaller portions but more of them
- Exercising makes you want to eat healthy
- Exercising gives you serotonin/endorphin release instead of relying on food for your endorphin fix, reducing comfort eating.

All the best,

Emma

Moses18 11-14-2012 01:42 PM

This helps my struggle

I read this: Between stimulus and response is our greatest power—the freedom to choose." This is what I focus on. When I feel like emotional eating (almost everyday), i try to choose to do something else. Anything else that can distract/fill my mind/time until the craving goes away. Sometimes its as easy as just walking out of the kitchen, most its doing something else that occupies my brain and body (reading doesn't work for me). I've cleaned out drawers, paired socks, washed floors, danced to my favorite music, exercised, and at night I just gone to bed early sometimes.
There is a psychological reason for emotional eating and it has made the cycle hard to break. But like exercise and my body its a work in progress.

frenchhen3 11-15-2012 12:40 AM

Moses, the "just go to bed early" one is my helper too. That Extra sleep is so good for us!

brianparker101 11-20-2012 08:02 AM

Motivating yourself usually helps. I use many different things for motivation. For example I put up a poster of GSP (the current UFC welterweight champ.) in my room. whenever I look at him it makes me want to workout and eat right.

Also, I prepare my meals the day before. This way I don't have to just grab anything that comes my way.

Hope this helps.

[email protected] 11-30-2012 04:05 PM

Hi.i am here to talk about the emotional eating. we should not eat heavy food we should use those food in our diet that gives us power also give help for our weight lose like Pomeranian juice.

mandevil7 12-19-2012 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Moses18 (Post 91918)
I read this: Between stimulus and response is our greatest power—the freedom to choose." This is what I focus on. When I feel like emotional eating (almost everyday), i try to choose to do something else. Anything else that can distract/fill my mind/time until the craving goes away. Sometimes its as easy as just walking out of the kitchen, most its doing something else that occupies my brain and body (reading doesn't work for me). I've cleaned out drawers, paired socks, washed floors, danced to my favorite music, exercised, and at night I just gone to bed early sometimes.
There is a psychological reason for emotional eating and it has made the cycle hard to break. But like exercise and my body its a work in progress.

Hello, I know my biggest problem is emotional eating. I know the right things to eat, but when I am emotional all that goes out the window. Thanks for the good suggestions. I am hoping to take more charge of my eating and my health. I joined Fitday back in 2010, lost 50 lbs and now a few years later have slipped back into bad habits, and re-gained 40 of those pounds back. I loved the way I looked at 130, at 170- not so much.

I like the idea of a mantra - "food is nutrition", sounds like a good one. I also am thinking of "I choose", because every time I eat something unhealthy I am the one making that choice. I need to be aware of the choices I am making.

KellsBells628 12-20-2012 01:56 AM

I know what you are going through when things got bad there were times that the only thing that would help would be my good friends Ben and Jerry, and by bad I don't mean break up I mean hard day at work. It got to the point that it felt like a self-sustaining circle. I look in the mirror and feel fat and so I head to the instant comfort in the freezer which does not exactly make me lose weight which just means that next time I look in the mirror I am not going to see anything that makes me happy. There are two things that have helped me: One is simply not having that type of thing in my house. If I am feeling particularly miserable I am willing to go as far as the freezer if I have to go farther, say to the store, I will just do something else. The second thing is yoga. It feels like I am doing something good for myself and the focus on the small things like just the motion of my breathing helps distract me from whatever has me in need of some comfort.