Notices

What I learned today

Old 02-02-2012, 04:24 PM
FitDay Member

Default What I learned today

At work I started to give my staff little tips on wellness. Things I've learned here and on other sites.

One thing which sort of gave me an aha that's why I'm in this journey is that being overweight puts huge pressure on your joints. For each extra pound of excess weight on your body, you add 3 times that amount of pressure on your knees. This means that 10 extra pounds equates to 30 pounds of pressure grinding down. And when walking up stairs, multiply your extra weight by 7. Thirty pounds of pressure just became 70 pounds. Over time, this force wears away your cartilage, leaving an area of arthritis.

As you lose weight and reduce the pressure on your joints, the cushioning between your bones will build back up. A 10 pound weight loss over 10 years may result in as much as a 50% decrease in your odds of developing osteoarthritis.

Now of course I have experienced this first hand but was really fascinating was that you can reverse the damage to the conditioning. I'm sure not in 100% of the all cases but I am continually amazed at the body's ability to rejuvenate.

I stole this from Dr. Oz

Last edited by crazigerl; 02-02-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 AM
FitDay Member

Yikes, thank God it's reversible!

Great post CG. I wonder if Glucosmine-Chondroiten helps with this? I take it anyway for my joints, especially now since I'm middle aged.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:09 PM
FitDay Member

I take that too, I don't know if it does anything as when I started taking it I didn't have any pain but I give the same pills to the dog who has arthritis in her legs and the difference after 4 weeks is amazing. I do know that it is one of those cumulative supplements in that you have to wait 2-6 weeks for it's effect and you have to keep up with it. I think I'm becoming a walking labratory.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default May be true, but

I wouldn't take Dr. Oz as a final authority on anything: Science-Based Medicine Dr. Oz and John Edward: Just when I thought Dr. Oz couldn’t go any lower, he proves me wrong
Old 02-04-2012, 02:32 PM
FitDay Member

neurogrrl, this was a multiple source commentnot just Oz.. But you are right Dr. Oz is a bit off when he recommends pills, supplements and non-traditional medicine.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default thanks

Thanks,i learned lots by your thread.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-12-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: removed signature
Old 02-21-2012, 01:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by crazigerl
neurogrrl, this was a multiple source commentnot just Oz.. But you are right Dr. Oz is a bit off when he recommends pills, supplements and non-traditional medicine.
My mom and I make a "game show" out of his show... we add up how many extra calories he is asking us to take in in order for us to eat whatever he is pushing that day... "If you simply eat one cup of Lima beans a day... you can______" (lower your risk of this or that or lose so many pounds a year... whatever... ) so we search fitday and then add all the extra calories up at the end of the show... It is entertaining!

If you are into "drinking games" you could take a shot every time he says "super food"...