Notices

Howdy!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Howdy!

I'm new to the site and I gotta say I love it. I'd use it just to know what was in what I ate even If I wasn't trying to diet. I figured I'd come into these forums and try to make some friends. I've tried diet or exercise before to lose weight but never tried both at the same time. Usually when I work out its for some strength or conditioning goal, and not weight loss(I do some amateur fighting) but seeing as how that's just a hobby I've decided to put weight loss first and to not concern myself with muscle or performance..they are good but I want to focus on losing weight now.

I'm 352 pounds and I love to eat..so I don't plan on starving myself. I'm not planning to lose 100 pounds by next month..but I may push as hard as to lose 30 by mid-June. I've never had a problem with exercise, I just like to eat. I often run/jog/walk. I have fighter practices every week, and hit a heavy-bag a few times per week.

I actually don't have much of a problem with the way I am, I feel great, last year I did a 10 mile run, this year a few 5ks, there are just things I want to do in life that a fat guy can't. I think it's affecting me getting jobs, I wanted to join the military since I was a boy and at 28 I think its now or never. I want to go skydiving..they told me the equipment didn't fit anyone over 250 pounds..so hey let's lose some weight and do some skinny guy stuff for a change

Anyway that's me, good to meet you all.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome aboard! Believe me when I say this, I love to eat as well, and to make it worse I'm a good cook! I've only been on this site since the beginning of the month, but I love it. For me diet and exercise have always been something of a mystery. I know I need to do both in order to lose weight, but how much of either? Anyway this site has made it much easier for me. All of a sudden it's not about over-eating or stress or emotional eating (which seem to be the mantra of dieting women the world over) here it's all about the math. Log your intake, log your activities, keep the burn higher than the calories (by the prescribed amount) and viola' you lose weight. Very simple. I've gotten quite a bit better about measuring my intake amounts, just so I can make sure my food log is accurate. I also really love the nutrition graph, which helps me to choose foods that will round out my nutritional needs, especially when I only have a few calories left for the day.

I think 30 pounds by June is very possible, and you won't need to starve yourself at all. You might want to look at the recipe section on the forum, there are some really good posts there for ideas on how to get your old favorites without all the old fat and calories. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:18 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the advice. The only time I ever successfully dieted before this site was by writing down my calorie intake every day, this site is pretty much that only it saves the pencil and tells you more than just calories.

I'm not much of a cook, if it involves combining more than two ingredients odds are I won't be eating it. I do take vitamins though I'm not sure how helpful they are..who knows if the vitamins in those pills even get absorbed?

Went running/walking today. Walked 1.2 miles and ran 1.2 miles..(A lap around my park's track is .6 miles)I was absolutely bushed after running the 1.2..that's a far cry from last years 10 but maybe a little work and dropping about 20 pounds will fix that.