FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Is your spouse/partner naturally thin? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/569-your-spouse-partner-naturally-thin.html)

LauraJo9 03-04-2010 03:58 AM

Is your spouse/partner naturally thin?

Mine is and it's annoying!! He's supportive of my weight loss program, but I don't think he can ever understand how difficult it is for people who tend to gain weight easily. He's like "just eat less and go to the gym more, honey". Oh gee why didn't I think of that?? UGH

almeeker 03-04-2010 06:08 AM

No, it's much worse than that for me.

My husband was "husky" when I met him, in fact he out-weighed me by 70 pounds. But when I got pregnant with our first child, he went on a diet and gave me every last one of those pounds. It was awful. Now we have 3 beautiful daughters and I'm big as a garden shed. So I started dieting this year in hopes of losing it completely. And do you know what that man had the nerve to say to me and my mean lean cooking? He said "Wow this is great and really low-cal low fat, where were you 8 years ago when I was trying to lose weight?" EXCUSE ME? Where was I? Knocked up with your BABY, that's where!!!

Sveva 03-04-2010 12:05 PM

Hi There.

My hubby is naturally thin and he can eat ALL. DAY. LONG! And, of course, when we first got together I tried to keep up with him. Stupid, I know! :mad: And now, 14 years later, he is still thin and I am, as you put it Laura, as big as a garden shed! Frustrating! Oh so frustrating. But thankfully he, too, is supportive of my efforts. He is even going to Aquacize with me - and he hates the water. 'Course, I kinda gave him the choice between coming with me to Aqua class or going to a Salsa Dance class. LOL He chose the pool.

Good luck to all of us~ :)

LauraJo9 03-05-2010 10:19 AM

It was actually almeeker who said "big as a garden shed" but it did make me laugh!

JOELVEN2 03-07-2010 12:40 AM

Sveva,

I love your quote!

My hubby has the natural skinny gene too -- in fact the doc told him he's 40 lb. underweight, but he's never carried normal weight and wouldn't know how to deal.

He says he supports me; but prefers restaurant dinners on weekends which is the only time our schedules allow us to eat dinner together. This wreaks havoc on my calorie control and fat control. Open to tips on how to cope.

Midwestvintage 03-07-2010 06:27 AM

When I go out it helps if I already have the meal planned. Try this link for diet facts. It lists a lot of restaurents.

Sveva 03-07-2010 11:18 AM

Hey JOELVEN2! Thanks! I thought that quote was very fitting for me . :p

We tend to eat out a fair bit. It is really our only "entertainment" so to speak. I always ask for salad instead of any potato. And I tend to eat mostly chicken or fish so it's not too bad. I try to stay away from pasta. If I know I am going out to eat and I want something "yummy", I eat very lightly throughout the day and sorta bank some extra calories for the date.

kcaliff 03-08-2010 02:45 AM

My hubby is the same way. In the past, if he is feeling "flabby", he does some sit-ups and push-ups for about a week, and gets back into shape. He doesn't have to watch what he eats, but he is also a naturally healthy eater - would prefer fruit to chocolate any day (not me!).

He has the same philosophy, Laura - "just eat less and exercise more, it's not that hard". I have worked really hard this last year to lose about 22 lbs, and though he is supportive, he doesn't understand the work involved. I have to track every calorie and really think about what that cookie is going to do to my day. I hope some day it won't be so hard.

I do the same with restaurants - try to get online and see their menu so I can plan what to get. Then I don't get too off track when I get there. I also always order water to drink and veggies instead of fries/rice/potatoes as the side.