FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Bread? Yes or NO (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/5645-bread-yes-no.html)

slowcheetah16 11-10-2011 07:13 AM

Bread? Yes or NO

I am going to stop eating bread. Not rice or pasta, just bread. I just get so bloated everytime I eat whole wheat or rye bread, ww rolls or wraps. I am not sure if this will make a difference. Has anyone done this? If so, what have been your results. Thanks.

VitoVino 11-10-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by slowcheetah16 (Post 61954)
I am going to stop eating bread. Not rice or pasta, just bread. I just get so bloated everytime I eat whole wheat or rye bread, ww rolls or wraps. I am not sure if this will make a difference. Has anyone done this? If so, what have been your results. Thanks.

I've read that whole wheat bread is actually not as great as you'd think. Have you tried a multigrain bread? Arnold makes a 15 multigrain bread and it's not only healthy, it's quite good.

A really healthy choice is low carb, high fiber tortilla shells from Ole. At 12 grams of fiber per wrap you're really missing out if you don't eat these.

But no, I have not given up bread nor do I intend to. I just eat it in moderation.

mecompco 11-10-2011 09:20 AM

I eat some form of bread every day. Usually low cal WW or a 100 cal WW wrap. Sometimes, though, I'll have the real thing covered with real butter. Perhaps even some hot garlic bread. As Vito points out, moderation is the key. I no longer eat half a loaf (or more) of bread at one setting as I was know to do in days of yore.

Regards,
Michael

tandoorichicken 11-30-2011 08:04 AM

If you want to try, just drop all bread products (bread, cereal, pasta, tortillas) for 2-4 weeks. It won't kill you, and if it works for the better then more power to you.

Never underestimate the power of self-experimentation. :)

almeeker 12-01-2011 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by slowcheetah16 (Post 61954)

I have issues with wheat too, but not with potatoes or rice. I do eat wheat, but it's usually limited and I can always tell when I've had too much. For example a foot long bun at Subway is waaaayyyy too much. I also try and avoid eating it early in the day because it gives me a carb crash mid afternoon and I will eat the house down.

volleyballgranny 12-01-2011 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 61957)
A really healthy choice is low carb, high fiber tortilla shells from Ole. At 12 grams of fiber per wrap you're really missing out if you don't eat these.

I like those, too. Giving up bread (for health reasons) has not been nearly as hard as giving up tortillas.

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia in 1979. I chose to control it with diet and processed carbs (wheat or otherwise)--along with other high carb foods like potatoes and rice--were pretty much eliminated from my diet at that time. I followed Atkins Maintenance most of the time and went to OWL if I was careless and needed to lose a few pounds.

I got careless once in a while and they crept back in, but I really don't miss them (except for French fries) very much. It won't hurt you to eliminate bread from your diet--it will help you lose.

I had some severe colon problems last February and went back on strict Atkins--no bread. I lost 40 pounds between February 13th and May 30th. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes--which is a little depressing. I just remind myself that I was told, in 1979, that I'd have about 10 years before becoming diabetic. Thank God for Atkins--I put off that turnover into diabetes for 22 years longer than the doctors predicted.

You need carbs, but they need to come from vegetables first--processed foods rarely.

Meggietye 12-10-2011 03:38 PM

I have bad Crohn's disease so as an experiment I gave up wheat and dairy..it was a success to my symptoms and my weight and my mood. My gut is no longer crampy/ bloated/gassy nor am I symptomatic of depression. I slip in 1/3 cup Grape Nuts cereal somedays with 1/3 cup of milk and seem fine for it, perhaps that is my max? If I eat bread or anything processed above that, I am in trouble. Meanwhile with sharper mental acuity I am exercising an hour per day and have lost 8 lbs in 5 weeks...hahaha ask me if I am happy!!

rosiecris 12-11-2011 12:22 PM

Hey MeggieTye, I'm a fellow Crohnie, and absolutely you must limit wheat and milk. I tolerate processed dairy products like yogurt and cheese much better than milk. I must limit coffee as well, but one cup a day is fine. Add in OTC meds as needed and forget the doctors! I spent a lot of $ on them and they never helped me in 40 years. You know what works for you! I'm in a hurry to lose and I'm currently on 700 calories per day. I feel great and I'm losing 3 pounds a week average. Good Luck to you!