Notices

Beer to make up calories

Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Beer to make up calories

Hey

I'm asking this really for future reference.

Saturday is my 'treat day' I eat very low calories breakfast lunch and dinner which leaves me around 1000 calories to play with for the rest of day as I also exercise in the morning.

Basically my question is would this be the best time to have a couple of beers to make up my calorie intake? Socially I like to have a couple of beers with friends which will be once a month really or when I'm golf weekends.

I'm not really a snacker or eater after beer and I know we're 'allowed' a few units per week.

I can't see why this would be detrimental to my weight loss but just wanted to ask incase I've missed something?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2011, 08:52 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Dave, maybe the better time to have a few would be later in the day, maybe even at night. Supposedly when you drink alcohol the fat burning stops because your body must digest the alcohol first, before it does anything else. And I've also heard it can slow metabolism. I'm thinking if you've been burning calories all day long, having a few beers at night once in a while would be the better time, rather than interrupting your fat burning earlier in the day. Anyway, that's what I try to do.

I've also switched to "64" while trying to drop weight. Granted it's not a full bodied beer but I've tricked myself into believing I'm drinking a Corona because I use some lime with it. It satisfies my beer urge yet it doesn't beat me up with calories or big amounts of alcohol. You can drink 2 and still come out less than most regular imports. Just a thought.

You can bet when I hit my goal and start maintaining that I'm going to have a Beck's once in a while. Or Sam Adams. Or...

Cheers!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 AM
FitDay Member

Cheers Vito.

I'm sure it'll be fine when I hit my maintenance weight to have a few beers if I just smash out the exercise before.

Trying to cut out booze full stop but know that I'll have a couple at some point soon.

Will do some research into the 'best' weight loss beers. And it will most certainly be in the evening
Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I drink whatever I like, personally--I think "diet" beers are a big waste of time.

I do tend to feel like eating after drinking, and that is a danger as my "food conscience" seems to be impaired when I've got a good beer buzz.

On your "day off", as I like to call it, have some good beer and have fun. Just don't do it too often. That's my take on it.

Regards,
Michael
Old 10-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

I can actually fit 3 shots and 2 beers into my macros when I want to without going over any of my %'s! I just changed my drink of choice so it wouldn't affect my social life. I stick to straight alcohol shots and beer now. My friends are pretty good about supporting my healthier (lol) drinking choices! A good friend just brought me this gift! (Pretty sure I did more than 3 shots tho...