Notices

Fluctuating calorie intake

Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default Fluctuating calorie intake

Do you guys fluctuate your calorie intake so that some days are higher (intentionally)? I read that this is good to 'trick the metabolism'? Any thoughts or experiences?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I don't think there is such a thing as 'tricking your metabolism.' Just as I don't think there's a broken metabolism! However, eating more one day and less the next does this: it averages out. If you eat 2000 calories one day and 1000 calories the next, the average of those two days is 1500 calories - not bad. The trick is counting your calories carefully and accurately.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jjj3
Do you guys fluctuate your calorie intake so that some days are higher (intentionally)? I read that this is good to 'trick the metabolism'? Any thoughts or experiences?
Yes! I can't say enough about it! It's called 'zig zagging' and it's not only helped me break a few plateaus, it's also helped me maintain steady weight loss. The week I went to a steady, yet reduced caloric intake, is when I started a plateau. I went back to fluctuating and my weight started to drop again. This has happened twice now.

Some of us use this site to help determine the calories:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs
Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Yes! I can't say enough about it! It's called 'zig zagging' and it's not only helped me break a few plateaus, it's also helped me maintain steady weight loss. The week I went to a steady, yet reduced caloric intake, is when I started a plateau. I went back to fluctuating and my weight started to drop again. This has happened twice now.

Some of us use this site to help determine the calories:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs
Thank you! This is very helpful.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
I don't think there is such a thing as 'tricking your metabolism.' Just as I don't think there's a broken metabolism! However, eating more one day and less the next does this: it averages out. If you eat 2000 calories one day and 1000 calories the next, the average of those two days is 1500 calories - not bad. The trick is counting your calories carefully and accurately.
Your body is made to adapt in order to survive. If you drop calories drastically too quickly then your body with start saving calories and storing them as fat because your body thinks it is starving. It is a means to survive. The same concept applies to taking in lower calories consistently..... your body gradually adapts to the change, then when you return to your regular eating habits you pack on the pounds. This is similar to training your body to sleep fewer hours through the night; your body will naturally adapt to the environment, or circumstances it is forced to endure.

In order to fight this natural occurrence diet experts suggest what is called zigzag dieting (also the same should be done with workouts; muscle confusion) To successfully loose weight you should gradually lower your calorie intake and replace what you eat with high protein and fiber to keep you more full, longer. Then when you get your calories intake where you want it, you should spike it every few days (I do this ever 3rd day or so), and once a week you should go over your necessary calorie intake; this will keep your metabolism active. Think of it as giving your metabolism a work out. Use it or loose it. The remaining time you should obviosly have lower than necessary calorie intake....a good diet has you eating 200 calories every two hour; this leads to a 1200 to 1400 calorie diet. (Eating often also helps to keep your metabolism active.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

So far I have been losing steadily by maintaining a fairly consistent calorie intake of 1200-1500 calories, but some days I do allow myself up to 2000 (maybe once every ten days?) and lower to 1000 the next. But I am considering zig-zagging.

Chris Powell, the trainer from Extreme Makeover: Weight-loss Edition, has his people do what he calls the "boost and burn". Basically he boosts the metabolism one day with a higher calorie, higher fat food intake day, and then follows it up with a lower calorie, lower fat burn day. Basically zig-zagging. The transformations on that show are incredible. He was also on Dr. Oz talking about it.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:53 AM
FitDay Member

I do this, I do like a Dominos pizza so once every two weeks.. ish I'll treat myself to one, followed the next day by an almost zero fat, low calorie day. I've steadily lost every week, with the exception of one week, plus it helps suppress any other cravings as I know I have my 'treat' to look forward to
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 AM
Banned

yep having so called cheat days once a week..is a good thing....dont go overboard tho