Notices

Diet Advice

Old 02-18-2011, 07:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Diet Advice

54yr old male

I have been on a 500-600 calorie a day diet. I'm tracking my foods on FitDay and the mix proteins, vegetables and some fruit. My nutritional mix is 60g + protein, and keeping my fats and carbs under 20g each. I also workout daily.

My issue is in the course of two weeks I have only loss 3lbs in weight. I feel good and my cloths are fitting better but I feel I should be down more in weight then I am.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Rick
Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Rick, what are your stats? You should be dropping weight like nobody's business. I'm not a big believer in the old "starvation mode" business so (IMHO) it must be something else. How much water are you drinking? What's your workout? Give us some more details to work with.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM
FitDay Member

First I am taking HCG along with the low calorie high protine diet. I work out daily but it changes from hot yoga, cardio at the gym and kettle bell at home in between. Not much cheating and when I do it's maybe 3oz of vodka a week and no mixers. Oh, my starting wieght was 204 and I am currently at 199 with a goal of 175.

I am suprised as well which is why I posted the question.

Thanks,
Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 PM
FitDay Member

Given the amount of exercise you're doing, 500-600 cals per day just sounds too low. I'm not big on the techy details, but your body may be stuck in "famine mode" where it's very reluctant to burn fat because it thinks it needs to hold on to it. MeoCompo says he's not big on that concept, but it makes sense to me.

As an example, my trainer did some calculations and reckoned that I need about 90g of protein per day, and I'm 41, male, 5'3 and 161 lb. So if I need 90, how much should an active 200lb man need? Not 60g, I'll wager.

As another example, the average healthy male is widely thought to need about 2000 calories per day. Your 600 calories is less than a third of that.

As perverse as it sounds, you could try eating more. I think you could even double your intake to 1200 calories without any adverse effects and that would still give you a substantial calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

I stake no claim to any expertise, so feel free to ignore me.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:57 PM
FitDay Member

When it comes to how to losing weight and getting tight abdominals many people are not bothered about seeking a natural way to fat. Most will do anything to remove unsightly fat, from surgery to slimming pills.and its very harmful to their health so i prefered workout to do the thing.and i also suggest you to be stay away from this. and most thing the diet plan.you have to be carefull about your diet plan.you have to eat acoording to your diet plan.The word diet doesn't just refer to a reduction in eating. It also means adjusting your diet to include more of the things you need and less of the things you don't. A balanced diet is going to be key in order to losing stomach fat. Your body stores energy in two ways: glycogen and fat. Glycogen is stored in your muscles and liver.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

All the HCG stuff aside, are you weighing and measuring your food very carefully?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:02 PM
FitDay Member

I can tell you from my experience that you need to eat more.

I was working out 5-6 days hard and started adjusting my diet. Looked at what my basal needs were and then knocked off 500 cals. I dropped 15 pounds in a month. I had trouble believing it. I kept blaming it on water weight. I even had total strangers commenting on it at the gym. Fitday tells you how many calories you need a day to do what you are doing. You are not eating enough to get you through a day of laying in bed.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

I think you need to eat more.
I am a female 127 pounds and can't survived on a 1200 cals a day ( I was too hungry). I don't know how could 200 pounds man would live only 600 cals. and work out.
You may find out that eat more and lose more.
good luck.
Mai
Old 05-03-2011, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with all that has been said. However I would be very accurate in weighing the food and count also the calories in the vodka and the minimal cheating you said you do. I've been on a 500-800-cal a day diet for 8 days and I've lost 5 lb (female, 178lb), so your 3lb in 2-wk sounds kinda low for 500-600 cal.
Definitely though, eat more, especially if you work out. I'd aim to a net 1000 cal (intake-workout).
Keep us posted!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:02 AM
FitDay Member

You should probably jump on one of the HCG threads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.