Notices

Obsessed

Old 09-08-2011, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Obsessed

Hello everyone. First of all, I'm sorry if this is not the place to post this kind of thread, but I couldn't find a better place.
I've been overweight my whole life due to meds and poor nutrition and have tried many times to go on a diet to lose weight but it never really seemed to work, until recently. I tried a brand of weight loss products that really helped, I dropped 12 kgs but I can't afford them anymore, they're really expensive. When I stopped taking them I gained six kgs back, but I already knew this could happen so I just decided I'd do a classic type of diet. The thing is, right before starting, something awfully bad for my self-esteem happened and I began dieting quite hard. Everyone thought I wouldn't last two days, but I did. I've been doing it for a while now, and it is working, which is great, but the thing is that I cannot stick to my diet properly without obsessing about the scale, every calorie I eat and how many I burn on the bike. It's getting worse over time. I don't believe I have any kind of disorder, but it is so addictive to count everything and restrict it. It's 17:40 in the afternoon for me and I've only had around 400 kcal today (even though I've spent 30 minutes on the bike).
Does this happen to anyone else? Is it normal? Everyone keeps telling me to relax and take it easy, but I'm afraid if I do I will fail like so many times before.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your successes so far.

I think being obsessed to a small degree is a good thing, as not paying attention to what we ate is what got us into trouble in the first place. However I would be concerned if your obsession is causing you to not eat enough.

Some of the things that you may want to look at are ..

How much weight are you loosing? Are you dropping more than the recommended amount?
Are you getting 100% of the recommended daily amounts of your nutrients?
How do you feel? Do you have enough energy? Are you getting headaches, etc?

If you aren't having any problems I wouldn't worry about being obsessed but if you start having issues it's time to see a professional.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:55 PM
FitDay Member

Overweight and obesity are both labels for ranges of weight that are greater than what is generally considered healthy for a given height. The terms also identify ranges of weight that have been shown to increase the likelihood of certain diseases and other health problems.