Notices

Is moderation key?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Is moderation key?

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if someone who had experience with dieting had an opinion on what worked best for them: moderation or restriction. I have heard so many people tell me to cut out things, but I think that moderation would be best. I don't think life should be about restriction... if you want something why not have it.... but maybe not too much. What do you think? I have tried several restricting diets throughout the years, but I would like to have one that I can live with for the rest of my life.... eating healthy, but being okay with a treat now and then. I was wondering if anyone has adopted this kind of life style change and what they have done, or are doing?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I'm all for moderation. As you point out, a "diet" is a short-term affair. A lifestyle change is what many of us need--one that we can live with forever.

I personally have chosen to abstain from any desert-type items as they are a particular trigger for me. Anything else, though, is fine--just in moderation.

I do like to eat at least 100 grams of protein a day and try to eat "good" foods including fruits and veggies every day. I also do best when I limit simple carbs so I eat whole wheat bread and the like.

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-06-2011, 06:41 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Michael. I believe in moderation. There are some things in life that you may find are triggers to binges or overeating and you may choose to limit them. I have however been eating 'normal' foods all along during my weight loss so far. It is just mostly eating a small bowl of ice cream instead of half the carton

For me personally I derail if I do try to restrict too much. I do eat a salad every day for lunch but sometimes I add tuna, chicken or ham to it to mix it up. This is instead of lunchmeat sandwiches & chips. I feel this is a fair trade so don't feel restricted.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 AM
FitDay Member

I agree that moderation is best, at least for me. Moderation has always worked for me in the past whereas I've never eaten just all "diet foods" when reducing caloric intake. I've always eaten what I've wanted, just watched the portion sizes.

This time around since I've been the heaviest in my life, I'm thankful that I finally found FitDay to help me with not only the moderation, but also the macros and nutrients, which happens to be totally new to me. So for the first time I'm actually watching my cholesterol and sodium.

I also have to stay away from triggers. I know I can't eat cookies or any more chocolate (my sweet substitute is an occasional hard candy). I think I'll be able to control ice cream once in a while, but again I'll use FitDay to make sure I'm "hittin' the numbers" and not going overboard. I was in the habit of eating 5 scoops at a time, but no more.

When I say "I eat anything I want" it's true, but it's a little misleading. For instance today I ate a 12" ham and swiss hoagie. But now I'll watch my calories and sodium to make sure I don't go over my caloric intake for the day. But that's OK. I'm looking forward to some low fat yogurt, peanuts, fruit, and veggies the rest of the day.

It's OK to occasionally eat "bad", but when I was doing it all the time I had no energy and my head was always cloudy. I never want to go back to that again.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with the above. I went through the process of learning what I'm willing to compromise on (no problem giving up greasy fried stuff or overly sweet, sugary, gooey desserts) and what I won't (there's no way I'll give up frozen yogurt or a morning cup of tea with milk & turbinado sugar). We all have our things we hold sacred, and we all have different triggers, so learning yourself and how you work is the best thing you can do in this journey.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
I agree that moderation is best, at least for me. Moderation has always worked for me in the past whereas I've never eaten just all "diet foods" when reducing caloric intake. I've always eaten what I've wanted, just watched the portion sizes.

This time around since I've been the heaviest in my life, I'm thankful that I finally found FitDay to help me with not only the moderation, but also the macros and nutrients, which happens to be totally new to me. So for the first time I'm actually watching my cholesterol and sodium.

I also have to stay away from triggers. I know I can't eat cookies or any more chocolate (my sweet substitute is an occasional hard candy). I think I'll be able to control ice cream once in a while, but again I'll use FitDay to make sure I'm "hittin' the numbers" and not going overboard. I was in the habit of eating 5 scoops at a time, but no more.

When I say "I eat anything I want" it's true, but it's a little misleading. For instance today I ate a 12" ham and swiss hoagie. But now I'll watch my calories and sodium to make sure I don't go over my caloric intake for the day. But that's OK. I'm looking forward to some low fat yogurt, peanuts, fruit, and veggies the rest of the day.

It's OK to occasionally eat "bad", but when I was doing it all the time I had no energy and my head was always cloudy. I never want to go back to that again.
For me, some things are in moderation, like wine and beer, and other things are to be avoided totally, like white flour baked goods.

On the clear headed point, that, and more energy have been at least as valuable as starting to be smaller than I was.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:29 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Good to know

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has trigger foods and that I'm not the only one who has a hard time overeating. It can sometimes feel like you're alone when you have issues with certain things. I have been in recovery from an ED and that is why I was curious about the moderation diets. I used to be too restrictive and I'm kind of learning to eat "normal" all over again. So far I can almost eat anything, but I do have problems with sweets like Ice cream. candy bars, and other desserts. I want to be able to be okay with myself if I feel like having a treat, but I also want to have the will power to just have enough. Thanks everyone for the great feedback
Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by sarahnevin
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has trigger foods and that I'm not the only one who has a hard time overeating. It can sometimes feel like you're alone when you have issues with certain things. I have been in recovery from an ED and that is why I was curious about the moderation diets. I used to be too restrictive and I'm kind of learning to eat "normal" all over again. So far I can almost eat anything, but I do have problems with sweets like Ice cream. candy bars, and other desserts. I want to be able to be okay with myself if I feel like having a treat, but I also want to have the will power to just have enough. Thanks everyone for the great feedback
Sarah, you know, I like to think I could enjoy a pastry or slice of pie now and again. I imagine it's like an alcoholic who likes to think he/she could simply enjoy a cold beer once in a while.

It just may be, though, that folks with eating disorders (such as I'm pretty sure I have--you don't get over 400 lbs. w/o some sort of problem, obviously) just might not be able to handle certain foods.

So I don't know--I guess I'm leaning towards the "better safe than sorry" side and will continue to abstain from that stuff. Honestly, with time the cravings really subside. Though I will still have bad thoughts once in a while--there was a whole tray of fresh cinnamon buns out the other day and I just had the strongest urge to dive right in as I would have previously (and would have snuck back later for a couple more when nobody else was around). But, I was good and the urge passed, as urges do.

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with you regarding moderation. Denying yourself a food only makes you desire it more. I can have whatever I want, but, not as much as I want. I get creative. I drink a protien drink for breakfast, and I love chocolate, so I drink a chocolate protien drink. Then when I am tempted later in the day, I tell myself that I already had chocolate today, and that I have not deprived myself. It helps alot.