Question for progress :) How to lose more >

Question for progress :) How to lose more

Community
Notices

Question for progress :) How to lose more

Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Question for progress :) How to lose more

My weight loss journey started in Feb 2012, I was at my highest weight of 263. Now, (May 2012) I'm down to 238. I started this 30 day challenge May 1 and I'd like to lose a little more weight than I have been per month. My first month the weight flew off, like 5.7 lbs the first week. Then after April, I only lost about 5 lbs between April and the first week of May.

I need some ideas and tips on how to jump start that weight loss again and get like 10 lbs this month (or more). I know I should add different exercise so on top of the 3 Curves workouts, I added Zumba and Cardio Kickboxing on Thursday nights. I've also tried changing some of my foods but since it's been working for the past 2.5 months, I don't want to change too much. I don't think I've hit a plateau yet, the weight just slowed down. I was losing 2-3 lbs per week then it slowed to 1-2. I haven't really changed my eating habits or the amount of water I'm consuming so I don't think its that.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

If you haven't changed your eating habits and your weight loss has only slowed down but not stopped, why not just stick with that? You said you don't want to change too much. If you don't want to change too much, that's really the core of your belief about this weight loss process. If you want to go on as you have been, but still eat the same foods, increasing exercise would be the best option. Another would be to eat the same foods but just change the portion sizes. It's calories in, calories out - both options address that.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Cool

I lost just 5 pounds in one month, I am in the same boat, if you get any responses please let me know, its really frustrating.:
Old 05-04-2012, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

I just found this on line, I am going to try, I will let you know if it works.

I've had this problem, and a person I know told me what to do, AND it actually worked.

So here's what’s happened. Your body has gotten used to what it's doing, therefore its not burning anymore fat. Take a day, and eat what you want .. literally, whatever you want, then the next day, eat COMPLETELY healthy. That means no cheats at all. This way, you're shocking your body. If you keep this up for a week, you will probably have shocked your body enough so that it will start burning fat again. hope this helped!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default Reply

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies! I will def try to exercise more and re-shock my body into burning more fat. I am still sticking with my diet, which is what I meant by not changing too much. I've gotten used to what I can and can't eat, which before, was my biggest problem! I've heard about the shock treatment to your body, having 1 cheat day a week and then follow it with 6 healthy days and that makes your metabolism work faster. Of course, you always hear both sides of the story! Some nutrionists say no! never cheat, others say yes! Having 1 cheat day a week really jump starts your body's natural fat-eating instinct. I don't know if it really works but you'll have to let me know how it goes for you.

When I started the diet, the first 3-4 weeks, I really lost weight, 5.7 lbs the first week, another 3.4 the second week and before you know it, 1 month had passed and I had 15 lbs gone! It was amazing! Then the second month came and it slowed down. It's been a total of 11 weeks and I've lost about 23 lbs, which is excellent, don't get me wrong! It's just that about 15-16 of those came off within the first month from shocking my body, and now it has slowed down. I'd really like to shock my body again this month and see the results I seen that first month. (I'm happy with any weight loss at all!)

What do people usually use when they hit that awful plateau?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

First a couple of questions...

1. Air you accurately tracking your food as detailed as you can?
2. Are you doing any weight training as part of your exercise?

I think one of the main reasons weight loss slows down for people is that as you loss weight, you are burning less calories both just sitting around and when you exercise. When you started, a certain combination of diet and exercise may have resulted in a nice 1000cal/day deficit. Now that exact same combination may only be yielding a deficit of 250cal/day.

One way to fight this is to make sure you are doing what you can to hold onto as much lean mass as possible by weight training and getting enough protein.

In the end all weight loss is calories out-calories in. The key is to do what you can to maximize calories out (exercise, maintaining lean mass, staying active, maintaining or increasing metabolism) while holding or reducing calories in (Eating food full of nutrition will allow your body to feel satisfied with fewer calories).
Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Clarkslp,

Yeah, I've noticed that. My calories burned just sitting all day has decreased tremendously since I've lost these 25 lbs. Which means my calorie intake has decreased from 1700-1800 to 1400-1500. I have been watching and tracking everything I've eaten just as I did before, I've also added cardio kickboxing and Zumba to my workout. I usually do the curves circuit training 2-3x week and then the Zumba/Cardio kickboxing 1x week.