FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   More water = less fat? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/4839-more-water-%3D-less-fat.html)

AmJam04 07-28-2011 09:29 PM

More water = less fat?
 
Hey guys!

So I've been trying to read about some ways that can assist in losing extra weight, and one of them is drinking a lot of water.

Basically, I've read that it's important to stay hydrated throughout the day (which is sort of a no-brainer, since doing that in general helps your overall health) but also that drinking a cold glass of water before every meal and attempting to replace a craving with a glass of water is supposed to help you feel more full and your body has to put in a little extra work to warm itself up again after the icey-cold water hits your stomach.

Have any of you tried this? Have you noticed whether or not it helped?

Thanks!

ChibiSub 07-29-2011 03:43 AM

I have replaced most of my soda pop in take with water and have noticed a difference. I feel fuller when drinking water. Besides that the water helps get rid of water weight too.

wildbeanerz 07-29-2011 02:34 PM

Drinking a lot of water helps. I notice that I lose the best when I am over 80 oz a day. Some members here drink a gallon (128oz) a day.

It's not always easy to get in that much water so I make little challenges for myself. I can't get my lunch out of the fridge until I have finished my first 20 oz bottle. The second must be drank while eating my salad. Then I have one more to get in before leaving for the day. The rest of the water I drink is in glasses at home but at least 2-3 16 oz glasses in the evening too.

Spookycheeseofdoom 07-29-2011 06:07 PM

Proper hydration is absolutely an important part of weight loss! Thirst is what we call a late sign of dehydration, meaning you feel thirsty after all your body's other measures to signal you that something is wrong have failed. You don't feel thirsty until you are quite dry!

Most of the early signs of dehydration are easily confused for hunger: fatigue, irritability, distractability, weakness. When most people feel that way, they reach for a snack instead of a glass.

Water is an important ingredient for the millions of chemical reactions taking place in your body and any given time, so if there isn't enough water to be had, your body tries to limit the number of chemical reactions going on. In other words, slowing your metabolism. So people who don't drink enough can actually gain or have trouble losing weight even if they think they are eating and exercising correctly!

njc0las 08-03-2011 07:22 AM

Hyrdation is always important. If you aren't peeing clear, you aren't properly hydrated. You can also try salt cycling if you want to experiment. Basically you eat a bunch of salt so that your body retains water, then you cut the salt and your body will wring your water weight out like a sponge and you'll look really lean.

radiantrainbow 08-16-2011 10:28 AM

Water
 
Drinking water works... I lost 40 lbs one year... but I drank @ 1 gallon of water a day.... and exercise... many people have diseases and ailments just because of not having enough water... so this one is a biggy...

jma75 08-16-2011 03:18 PM

I once heard that a good rule of thumb is to drink 1 oz of water for 2 lbs of weight.
IE: If you weigh 200lbs, drink 100oz of water per day.
I thought it would be difficult, but it really isn't - I don't always drink my minimum, but I get pretty friggin close.

VitoVino 08-17-2011 11:49 PM

Another water lover here! I quit drinking soda pop over 20 years ago and basically all I drink now is water. I've got a water purifier in my home and it's not only more economical, but saves trips to the store.

I drink a lot of water every day. Close to a gallon.

AbelAbbot 12-05-2011 10:53 AM

Water is one of the most over looked secrets of weight loss. If you're trying to lose weight and stay on a diet you should drink at least eight big glasses of water a day. Thanks for sharing with us.;)

Meggietye 12-10-2011 02:45 PM

I am another big water drinker, I think my Mom had us drinking water early on..she didn't buy sodas, ever. 30 yrs ago I had a kidney stone and my urologist made me promise to drink a gallon of water a day to keep me out of the OR..and I have! I also make a huge pot of non milk based soup every week, I have that with water before meals daily and really get filled up quickly. I adore my water habit, couldn't survive happily without it!

Meggie

PS...I just heard via Dr Oz this week that not only do sodas make your bones spongy but soda drinking is one of the causes of the dreaded pancreatic cancer..another good reason to stay away from them.

VitoVino 12-10-2011 02:51 PM

Meggie, I call soda "liquid death in a can". It doesn't matter if it's "diet" or not, the stuff is still deadly in many ways.

LMB2011 12-12-2011 04:35 AM

:) water...what to drink while at the movies
 
:confused: Movie Theatures should offer bottled water, that would be so cool. My question is what does one drink while enjoying the movie with a small bag of popcorn?

Absentha 03-05-2012 05:35 PM

I agree water is essential for losing weight, but you need to be careful, I ended up drinking twice the recommended amount and my body water percentage decreased (so the weight I was losing was mostly water)and I started feeling cold all the time. A nutrition expert told me to cut my water intake to half of it and I got back to normal and kept losing weight. Apparently, if you drink too much water, the body rejects the water it's already got, which makes you lose minerals and other important stuff.

beccafries 03-12-2012 05:58 PM

wow...really


Originally Posted by Absentha (Post 75087)
I agree water is essential for losing weight, but you need to be careful, I ended up drinking twice the recommended amount and my body water percentage decreased (so the weight I was losing was mostly water)and I started feeling cold all the time. A nutrition expert told me to cut my water intake to half of it and I got back to normal and kept losing weight. Apparently, if you drink too much water, the body rejects the water it's already got, which makes you lose minerals and other important stuff.


Freshman30 03-25-2012 02:33 PM

Drinking a lot of water does help. I'm also a fan of Crystal Light- benefits of water, with a sweet taste.

Another thing that helps me is Green Tea. I like to drink some before a meal because it makes me feel full so I'll eat less. Or drink it after a well-controlled meal and it will make you feel like it's Thanksgiving.

Tutsbear 03-25-2012 11:23 PM


Originally Posted by LMB2011 (Post 64781)
:confused: Movie Theatures should offer bottled water, that would be so cool. My question is what does one drink while enjoying the movie with a small bag of popcorn?

Where I live all of the movie theaters have bottled water. You can just ask for water from them too and it will come in a soda cup but it's from the tap. Where I live the tap water is supposedly very good (at least according to all of my Chemistry and Biochemistry teachers). But I still use filtered water for myself and my pets.


Originally Posted by Absentha (Post 75087)
I agree water is essential for losing weight, but you need to be careful, I ended up drinking twice the recommended amount and my body water percentage decreased (so the weight I was losing was mostly water)and I started feeling cold all the time. A nutrition expert told me to cut my water intake to half of it and I got back to normal and kept losing weight. Apparently, if you drink too much water, the body rejects the water it's already got, which makes you lose minerals and other important stuff.

That is really interesting but makes sense, it's called water intoxication. That's why a lot of hazing has been banned because it literally caused several individuals to die or become very ill. For an interesting read you can look up "hold your pee for the wii", that was an instance where an individual drank too much water in a short amount of time and actually died. I believe (as was mentioned before on this thread) that you are supposed to drink half of your weight in ounces of water. I usually try to drink about a gallon of water a day and if I don't I won't lose weight that day. It is VERY hard for me to drink a lot of water because as a child this was not important to my parents. It's not that we had soda, they just didn't monitor if we were drinking or not.


Originally Posted by Freshman30 (Post 77209)
Drinking a lot of water does help. I'm also a fan of Crystal Light- benefits of water, with a sweet taste.

Another thing that helps me is Green Tea. I like to drink some before a meal because it makes me feel full so I'll eat less. Or drink it after a well-controlled meal and it will make you feel like it's Thanksgiving.

I don't care for crystal light because it has aspartame in it. But I do drink a lot of green tea. Green tea is supposed to be an appetite suppressant, and it seems to work as long as a drink a lot of it.
The easiest way for me to drink a lot of water is to fill my coffee pot up with tea and make it a goal to drink at least 1.5 of the pots a day. I literally pee every 20 minutes which is annoying...:(

beccafries 03-26-2012 06:20 PM

so the rule is half of your wt......so u weigh 200lbs u suppose to only drink 100lbs

TrainersRoom 04-11-2012 09:53 AM

I agree with you, really water is very important to keep you healthy and fit. Your tips is very good. water is also helps to lose weight.

meetscottewart01 05-03-2012 04:30 AM

well, yeah..
drinking a lot of water helps you lose weight..
i drink shakes and drink 1 glass of water every morning before eating anything. :)

JaimeMWS 08-31-2012 04:31 PM

I think water needs also change with exercise. My rowing coach says we should be drinking an ounce per lb. of body weight, at least on days we row or do other vigorous exercise. I haven't managed that yet, but working on it.

JaimeMWS 08-31-2012 04:35 PM

If you put some citrus zest in a bottle of water or green tea, and keep it in the frig, it flavors it without calories.

SteviaHall 09-03-2012 08:51 AM

Drinking water is vital for human body as it flushes out the toxins from your body and provides you advantages like healthier skin and weight loss.

sewdream19 09-04-2012 06:05 AM

Water fills up your stomach and allows you to store less food when you eat. Therefore you feel more full quicker. :)

AwesomelyFitandSexy 10-16-2012 01:24 PM

Water is considered as natural suppressant for appetite. Ithelps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits.

radiantrainbow 11-25-2012 02:35 PM

I am so disfunctional... This is where I will post with my admission of guilt or success as to how much water I have drank for the day I know this works and it is super easy and simple and no cost... Is any one on the water boat with me?

So far today I have drank 32 Oz

radiantrainbow 11-26-2012 11:44 AM

Good Morning.... I took in 56 oz of water yeaterday and am down 4 lbs.... trying to drink my 105 oz of water...Wish me well

radiantrainbow 11-27-2012 03:39 AM

Yes... today 64 oz of pure water.... hope to do more tomorrow... my goal was 105 oz of water...happy and sad....

lemonbenefits 11-28-2012 08:49 AM

benefits of lemon water
 
If you want to reduce your weight very fast then regularly drink lemon water it will very helpful for you to loose the weight very fast and easily. Lemon water also reduce your weight and refresh your body as well because Lemon water hydrates and oxygenates your body leaving you feeling energized and refreshed.
So we need to take lemon water more and more because there is no side effect of lemon water at all.

radiantrainbow 11-28-2012 11:02 AM

yesterday was an epic fail... I drank maybe 16 -32 oz water but still lost... hoping to do better today... Is any one else on the water wagaon?

radiantrainbow 12-01-2012 10:30 AM

I am currantly doing the 28 day diet with great success... I am on day 3 and am down @4 pounds... that is wonderful

OlgaIlyuk 04-09-2017 04:48 PM

Water drinking
 
Hey! Here happybody you can find some advices concerning water drinking.

emmajohnson3962 05-31-2017 07:09 AM

Drinking water instead of soda helps loads. It's a more healthier and free alternative in my opinion.

AngelatTorres 06-03-2017 08:57 AM

Yes I agree with you. Drinking lots of water results in health benefit.

[email protected] 07-25-2017 10:28 AM

Yes water does help in losing weight! also it helps to stay hydrated and refreshed!

[email protected] 07-25-2017 10:29 AM

Also check out my blogs on my own fitness webistes..not spamming

Tommy W. 07-30-2017 05:27 PM

Water doesn't directly cause fatloss however it does curb your appetite so in that respect it's a great fatloss tool plus running to the bathroom every 15 minutes burns calories.

juansummerlin 08-22-2017 12:33 PM

Weight loss and water are interconnected with each other. They are directly proportional to each other. So, if you drink more water, you are likely to lose more weight.

crystawaston332 07-16-2018 12:43 PM

I agree with your point! if we drink a lot of water in our daily routine then it will also helps to reduce our extra weight. Always keep in mind that always use BPA free water bottle instead of plastic bottle.

topbykas 07-30-2018 09:36 PM

tea
 
We all know that green tea is great for the body, right? Well…

LashaundaRau 08-02-2018 07:34 AM


Originally Posted by AmJam04 (Post 52079)
Hey guys!

So I've been trying to read about some ways that can assist in losing extra weight, and one of them is drinking a lot of water.

Basically, I've read that it's important to stay hydrated throughout the day (which is sort of a no-brainer, since doing that in general helps your overall health) but also that drinking a cold glass of water before every meal and attempting to replace a craving with a glass of water is supposed to help you feel more full and your body has to put in a little extra work to warm itself up again after the icey-cold water hits your stomach.

Have any of you tried this? Have you noticed whether or not it helped?

Thanks!

Hey. I tried it. I drink cold water before each meal. People do not lose weight from cold water. They lose weight from the fact that they eat less when there is water in the stomach.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.