Notices

Man, Why Do I Keep Doing This???

Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 PM
FitDay Member

Default Man, Why Do I Keep Doing This???

I always eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, and snacks for that matter. My supper is always healthy. I have stayed away from fast food and the buffets also. I drink water (the only thing I drink) even though I could probably drink more.

How come about 3 hours after supper I break down and have something that screws the whole day up? Supper tonight was chicken breast with a baked potato (ran out of sweet potatoes), and broccoli. Great supper. A few minutes ago, I had to have a bowl of Captain Crunch (I wish that crap wasn't here). Why? I mean why did I have to have that snack?

Why do I have these breakdowns and screw the entire day up?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 PM
FitDay Premium Member

So, you need to come up with a plan to deal with your compulsion to eat after supper.

Are you hungry or just eating out of boredom? Sitting around watching TV is a danger time for me so I try to keep it to a minimum. Boredom is really dangerous--try to keep busy! I keep a glass of water going to help keep me full and occupy the need to be consuming something.

At what time do you eat supper? When do you go to bed? I like to eat fairly late and not have more than three hours (often two hours) before going to bed. That way I'm full and don't get as tempted to eat more when I'm at the end of my calorie allotment.

Do you save "enough" calories for supper? I eat about half my daily calories for supper.

Are you eating a good shot of protein with your supper? I burn off a high carb meal SO fast--a higher protein meal sticks with me much better.

This is what works for me--hope it helps. In any event, what's done is done. Learn from it, plan for a way to avoid it tomorrow, and move on.

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 PM
FitDay Member

Michael is right; he is always so helpful. You do need to have a plan. I do not know what your living situation is; does someone else bring in the Captain Crunch and tempting stuff? For me, if it is not there, I am less likely to eat it. Also I find I lose more if I don't eat at night. But say you do live with someone and perhaps you do need a little something at night; why not cut up fruit or veg or have something a bit more diet friendly? Egg white omelets sometimes work for me or broth (I know not what you want to eat watching a game but still...) Or portion out a reasonable amount of chips and or carrot sticks and have with hummus. Hint tho less salty snacks=less bloating=less weight gain the next morning. And drink drink drink water. And don't beat yourself up for going off; every day is a new start and it sounds like you have really healthy eating habits: maybe you need to give yourself a little treat during the day (some dark chocolate or there's a great dessert: ricotta cheese with cocoa, vanilla extract and sweetener) so you're not so tempted to "cheat" at night.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 PM
FitDay Member

Maybe you need to change what you are doing right after supper? So instead of watching TV you get up and take a walk. Step away from the Captain Crunch cereal cupboard and maybe you won't have the problem. Also your potato at dinner is pretty heavy in carbs, so you might be responding to a carb crash.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Not a perfect option, but Cascadian Farms makes an organic cereal (Honey Sunshine) that is kinda like the grownup version of CC. It tastes similar but is not so sweet, and it's not as addictive .

I used to have this problem, too (not CC, but doing well all day and then blowing it). What worked for me is to make sure to eat enough during the day, including protein and healthy fats.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:37 AM
FitDay Member

I also suffer from this "impulsive eating". I will do great all day and then it all goes down the drain- usually mine is right between the gym and dinner- that is my dangerous time. Last night I was hungry and ate a bunch of pringles, I was eating them saying "what are you doing?" but they tasted good and I kept eating them. It's hard to teach yourself willpower, I use to have it and I am hoping it comes back sooner than later.

When it comes down to it, you just have to resist. I know this is easier said than done...but think about the goal you're trying to reach- and how you're only making it that much further away!

If this process was easy, everyone would be fit and skinny! The harder it is the more rewarding it will be in the long run!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

I have a "danger zone" time as well -- and it's between when I get home from work and dinner (or between getting home and gym, if it's a gym day). That used to be the time I'd have the house to myself and I could munch with no witnesses. I have the urge to grab a bag o' something and hunker down in front of the TV for "deserved" relaxation time.

What I do is that the minute I get in the door, I don't turn on the TV, I don't go for the computer, I go straight to the fridge for my healthy snack drawer and I grab whatever it is I've stocked up on (lately it's been Laughing Cow cheese wedges and some low-sodium crackers) and take a predetermined amount. I also take my bottle o' water.

I go into a neutral room (the office) and sit with them for a few minutes and decide if I'm *actually* hungry and not just giving in to habit. I'll take some really big swigs of water to see if that satiates me. If 5-10 minutes pass and I really am hungry, I will eat my snack. If not, it goes back in the drawer.

It probably sounds silly, but it's what I have to do. It's forced me to be way more aware of actual hunger vs. boredom and routine (and that psychological feeling of "getting away with something"). It's also helped that I've gotten rid of 99% of the junky food in the house that tempts me - BF and I have compromised, the "junk" we buy is not junk that I like (it's mostly sweets, and I don't really have a sweet tooth. He can eat all the cookies he wants, they don't tempt me).

So I'd say, if you're feeling the muchies at night, do what the others have suggested Drink some water, see if it helps. Occupy yourself with something more engaging than TV (even reading a book works for me! More mentally stimulating). Eat good protein and/or healthy fat with dinner, OR stock up on a protein-rich snack for nighttime (greek yogurt or ricotta cheese works great) so that less will feel fulfilling. And good luck!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
What worked for me is to make sure to eat enough during the day, including protein and healthy fats.
Lots of good suggestions above but I Cassies's post gave me an idea you might find helpful. Healthy fats are not only neccesary but have been shown to have a satiating effect on hunger. Since your evening meal had Chicken breast, potato and broccoli I would assume it contained very little fat. Maybe you could add a salad with an olive oil based dressing, some avocado or even some real butter on the potato to give you the fat your body needs to be satiated?

I also use raw almonds (about 10, because of their healthy fat content) to chase away the munchies when they attack.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898

How come about 3 hours after supper I break down and have something that screws the whole day up? Supper tonight was chicken breast with a baked potato (ran out of sweet potatoes), and broccoli. Great supper. A few minutes ago, I had to have a bowl of Captain Crunch (I wish that crap wasn't here). Why? I mean why did I have to have that snack?

Why do I have these breakdowns and screw the entire day up?
Doood....no more bong hits after supper...duh

LOL...just joking of course

I've got the same problem sometime, when I get a sweet tooth craving after dinner and I'll usually have a tangerine/orange or a small bowl of cottage cheese w/ pineapple and wash it down with some water and that usually takes cars of my after supper cravings.
or, we'll make a bag of popcorn and split it, that also works.

Sometimes a half glass of red wine will suffice.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 AM
FitDay Member

I've been giving in to temptation lately, too.

The bigger problem for me is not just trying to satisfy my hunger - it's dealing with my desire for the bad foods! I can consume frozen yogurt or ice cream like there's no tomorrow. In the last few days I've had a banana or an apple, only because I ate all the frozen yogurt.

I know I shouldn't bring it into the house. It's those damn buy one get one free sales that push me over the top and make it alright to buy it. I'm a sucker for deep discounts!

I've regained 5 of the 55 lbs. I had lost. I'm now 12 lbs. away from goal weight instead of 7. Being unemployed doesn't help either. I need a job!!! Any HR people out there? Hire me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.