Notices

Sigh. Scale Issues.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default Sigh. Scale Issues.

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the FitDay world, but definitely not to the weight loss world. Short story is that I have gained and lost anywhere from 20-40ish pounds at least 5 times in the last 10 years.

Currently I am trying to do it the "right" way by losing slowly, working out with a trainer at a gym and eating more whole foods, less sugar/processed/white flour foods (low carbing it!). Since October of 2010 I have lost about 20ish pounds.

For the last six weeks, my weight has fluctuated 2 pounds every.single.week. Now, I understand fluctuations are normal. However, since April 3, my weight has bounced between 173 and 175 every week!

I am borderline obese on the BMI scale (female at 5'4") and know that I have a ways to go before I start watching fat % versus the scale - at least 20 pounds more. So any tips or help would be greatly appreciated to get the scale moving in the right direction every week - not bouncing back and forth.

Thank you all so much. I'm excited to be a member here!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Hi AmyLouise,

Welcome to FitDay and the forums. It sounds like you have a great plan in place. I have bad news, though. Your scale isn't always going to move steadily in a down direction. Fluctuations in hydration, sodium, hormones, and other factors can throw it off, even if you're doing everything right. The key is to stay the course (stay off the scale, if you have to) and not let it discourage you. Every single one of us here has had the experience of being "up" a bit without really being sure why, or we know why and just have to wait it out. Be patient, stick to your program, and look at the big picture...the overall downward trend, not the little bounces.

If you're feeling like you're in a big old plateau now, change something. Change your exercise, change your carb-protein-fat ratio. Surprise your body and keep it guessing to kick up your metabolism.

Good luck! Jump into some of the other threads; looking foward to chatting with you.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 05-06-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie already gave you all the best advice I can offer. The only question she didn't ask is "Are you drinking enough water?". It makes a difference. 64oz baseline + an additional 8oz for every 10lbs you want to lose.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
Cassie already gave you all the best advice I can offer. The only question she didn't ask is "Are you drinking enough water?". It makes a difference. 64oz baseline + an additional 8oz for every 10lbs you want to lose.
Oops. I put it in another post today, though; can I have half credit?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Oops. I put it in another post today, though; can I have half credit?
Absolutely.