FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   I love full bars!! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/409-i-love-full-bars.html)

dnadjkovic 02-13-2010 04:47 AM

I love full bars!!

Has anyone else tried Full Bars? I'm SO glad I did. Not only do they taste good, they are satisfying and really work at keeping me full enough to avoid overeating at mealtimes.

They have the website, but they are MUCH cheaper in stores like GNC. I have not tried the Full Bites snack things, and I don't care much for the water "mixer" things. I'd really like to know what other people think of this plan.

Thanks!
Dee

basscat348 02-13-2010 05:44 AM

I went and checked out full bars website to see the content that they put into them.Here is what was listed in the bites and the bars were similar.

INGREDIENTS: Whole Grain Corn Meal, Soy Protein Concentrate, Vegetable Oil (Contains One or More of the Following: Corn, Soybean, or Sunflower Oil), Maltodextrin, Sugar, Salt, Molasses, Onion Powder, Torula Yeast, Tomato Powder, Spices, Natural Flavors, Extractives of Paprika, Garlic Powder, Vinegar, Citric Acid, Invert Sugar.
CONTAINS: Soy.

With out a doubt it is like all food replacement bars out there,what I mean is its the same old ingredients and some has put alot of money into marketing and making people believe that there stuff is healthy.The BOLD names are bad ingredients one way or another

Virtully everything in there is not very good.I can list every food in there why it is bad and what they do,for example there is a huge amount of sugar in there that would give an instant insulin spike and within a few hours you have crashed.I am not trying to ruin everything im just saying these foods are not healthy and are loaded with MSG and that is one of the causes of overweight people and overeating.

dnadjkovic 02-14-2010 05:50 AM

FullBar is based on weight loss surgery principles - so it's not intended to be a replacement bar - it's not like you eat that and nothing else. It's to fill your stomach so you don't overeat when you DO sit down to eat. And you're not ruining the fun for me - I enjoy a discussion. But a weight loss surgery principle is very different from Jenny Craig, or NutriSystem, etc, because those programs don't teach you how to eat "off program". With FullBars you are never "on program" - there is no "diet" or meal plan to follow. They don't even tell you to exercise. This plan is POINTED SQUARELY at people who need to reduce calories.

And even if it's not made of entirely "healthy" nutrients (and they are all natural, so all things considered, and in moderation, how unhealthy could it be?), the end is going to justify the means. Someone eats a FullBar, drinks 8oz of water and sits down to eat (a real meal) 30mins later. If that person's stomach is already 1/2 to 3/4 full when they sit down to eat, and that causes them to consume 2 slices of pizza instead of 6 slices of pizza, a huge soda, breadsticks and something for dessert - the OVERALL benefit is obvious (less calories consumption = eventual weight loss, even without exercise). On a lot of programs targeted at weight loss surgery candidates (MediFast, OptiFast, etc) the FIRST goal is weight loss through lowered calorie comsumption, to prepare them for surgery. I'm not a candidate for WLS, but I have looked into the various programs. This is a lot less expensive, a lot easier to manage, and more likely to succeed because you're not STARVING. Medifast tells you flat out, it's going to take 5-7 days to adjust to being hungry - some people don't have the willpower to withstand that. You don't have that issue on FullBars. So you're less likely to fail, thereby staying motivated to stick with a lower calorie program.

Yes ultimately I agree it would be great to put everyone on a totally nutritionally sound, organic, whole foods, low calorie, low fat, food-based meal plan; but realistically, that's not going to work for everybody, particularly for people who are just starting out. If your #1 priority is lowering your caloric comsumption, FullBars helps tremendously. When you move to a place where you are (through whatever means) consuming less FOOD at each meal (like after weight loss surgery), THEN food based nutrition becomes your priority, simply because you are eating LESS food, so what you eat needs to be nutritionally sound.

So long story short, I think this will help a lot of people who aren't candidates for weight loss surgery, but still need to lose weight, and have trouble sticking to traditional plans. The only thing that's going to work for each person is what works for THEM.

I suppose it's just a bonus for me that the chocolate ones are totally DELISH and taste chocolate super golden crisp cereal... :D Please keep sharing your thoughts! I have no one to talk nutrition/weight loss with!

basscat348 02-14-2010 10:54 AM

We'll I can certainly see your points to the food.I guess I shouldnt have called it a meal replacement bar because your right it is not.I was only sharing what I know about foods that look healthy but are not.When I was refering to MSG not all people are alleregic to it as I am or my father that had to have a heart bypass 7 months ago because of the things that I made bold in that food we are talking about.Some people it doesnt affect them at all some have different reactions to it.I will always try to point out the bad ingredients in food because it can lead to many bad things,now im 36 and I cannot have any sort of msg or I'll start having heart palpatations and I could end up having the same reaction my dad had.If you are not familiar with msg here is a couple links.

MSG Sources

Topics - Battling the MSG Myth

StrongWilld 02-16-2010 01:28 AM

Are the bars non GMO?

Gibby84ca 02-19-2010 06:02 AM

Basscat, I would be interested to know why you included all the Soy products in bold, as I have been making a conscious effort to increase my soy consumption?

basscat348 02-19-2010 11:04 AM

Soy is naturally high in free glumatic acid (msg) so really anything soy at least to those allergic to msg should avoid it,really everyone should avoid msg its a neuro toxin.With that said there is a short list of foods that have naturally occuring msg in them,with me for example I love tomato sauce and salsa but if I let the sauce boil to long on a high heat it will release alot of free glumatic acid from the tommato sauce resulting in heart palpatations ,high blood pressure and other things.Soy beans might be ok if you eat them like at a japanese restaurant.The more processed a food is the worse it becomes.Some say stevia is ok for you and has less calories,our body knows sweet things and thats it so if you eat it expect an insulin spike because its sweet.Mercury is naturally occuring that doesnt mean its ok to eat it.I could type for days on stuff like this but I will stop for now.:D

flkim68 02-20-2010 04:40 AM

I had these in my hands at my local Wal Mart the other day. I thought neat something that could help me eat less at each meal....then I turned the box around the read exactly what was going to be filling me up. I put that box right back on the shelf and headed to the produce area and stocked up on fresh spinich, mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes, cukes, celery, onions in order make a huge salad every night before dinner. I really like salad because you have to eat it slowly and the slower you eat, the less you eat. :)

monnikjuh 02-20-2010 05:07 AM

I don't costum full bars but i eat the bars of Atkins adventage and the full me perfect . From what brand are full bars ? and for what kind of a dieet are they ?