Notices

Your diet can't do without foods

Old 04-28-2011, 01:04 AM
FitDay Member

Eggs of any kind (except soft boiled) or egg whites, often as omelets with veggies such as mushrooms, broccoli and onions
Broccoli, usually steamed
Nuts- usually almonds or pistachios, those cocoa covered almonds save me when I am craving sweets
Nitrite free bacon, I found one that is soooooo good
chicken, chicken and more chicken
Burgers of any kind, minus bun nowadays
sugar free mayo
stevia -there's a brand online my friend gets with no bitter aftertaste, not promoting product just saying
fish, usually grilled
sardines
soup, homemade whenever possible, very filling and good: I try to find or make lowish sodium
pure soy powder add to soy milk to make shakes (dairy allergy)
strawberries, cantaloupe or other fruit, thank goodness for fruit

Finally, a little cheat now and then to keep me going: my cheats of choice: pizza (often with veggies) and dark chocolate, gotta have a cheat -not in marriage just on diet

I love how Cassie added Fitday as a "can't do without"

Last edited by canary52; 04-28-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 PM
FitDay Member

I've only been doing this three weeks so I'm not bored yet, but here are some of the foods I am very fond of.

Miso soup, made with fresh miso paste, red Thai rice (healthier than most noodles; I'm sure other rices are good too, I just happened to try this one and was blown away), random veg, tofu if I have it in stock, plus a bit of seaweed (wakame) and sesame seeds, some ginger purée if I fancy it. My local Chinese supermarket is shut for a month, I have run out of miso, and I am sulking about this.

A bar of very dark chocolate kept in the cupboard for occasional treats. The one I'm using at the moment is 85% cocoa as I wanted to go fairtrade, but you can get 90% and even 99% cocoa. At this level, I don't want to eat more than a small piece anyway.

Houmous in various incarnations, e.g. on rice cakes, using it as a dip with carrot sticks and other appropriate veggies.

Strawberries, grapes, cherries, and any other fruit of that nature - my partner and I love to eat these curled up in bed to watch TV last thing in the evening, so I associate them with silly programmes and plenty of snuggling.

One of my comfort soups is made easily by sautéing a chopped small onion in olive oil, adding some quinoa flakes and stock (I use Marigold bouillon powder), and some frozen peas when it's nearly done. Very quick and easy.

Almonds and raisins, or sunflower seeds and raisins (green raisins are particularly good), or very occasionally, almonds and little bits of chocolate - haven't had these for a while, actually.

Salad made with chickpeas, carrots, tomatoes, other veg as desired, and various bits and bobs such as sundried tomatoes, olives or raisins.

Pasta, green pesto and green peas or baby soya beans.

Sauté a chopped onion, add garlic and spices (cinnamon, cumin and coriander), throw in a tin of green or brown lentils, and serve on pasta. This makes 2-3 portions and is a good hearty dish with lots of protein that my partner's very fond of, and ooh, I might make it tonight.

Chocolate tea - if I'm off chocolate apart from the aforementioned occasional tiny pieces, I want to get my chocolate fix from somewhere!

Just checking here, but I've only ever heard "thinspiration" used by anorexics. Are you struggling with an eating disorder?
Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 AM
FitDay Member

Miso soup, made with fresh miso paste, red Thai rice (healthier than most noodles; I'm sure other rices are good too, I just happened to try this one and was blown away), random veg, tofu if I have it in stock, plus a bit of seaweed (wakame) and sesame seeds, some ginger purée if I fancy it. My local Chinese supermarket is shut for a month, I have run out of miso, and I am sulking about this.
This sounds amazing! I've been wanting to attempt to make miso soup for ages.

I don't consider myself on a "diet" but I am trying to stick to whole foods with less meat. When I do eat processed foods I only eat a small handful (like these pretzels I just got...to DIE for!). I've been cooking from scratch more. When I want a sweet treat I bake it myself and I make healthy adustments.

It is amazing how much more satisfied you get when you eat "real" food instead of processed food (crackers, cereal, chips, cookies, etc).

I love Greek yogurt and I second whoever said that they have to eat it with fat...the 2% Fage is AMAZING. I put in a little spoonful of all-natural jelly and some fruit.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:07 AM
FitDay Member

Miso soup is fantastic stuff when it's fresh! High in salt (my blood pressure tends to be low so I'm OK with that), though no more than processed foods I'd imagine, but also rich in electrolytes and probiotics and so forth. The way I make the soup is to put the chopped veggies in a smallish pan, add just enough boiling water, simmer until they're done. If I'm using ginger purée, that goes in the pan too. Meanwhile, if I'm using wakame seaweed, the first thing that happens before I start to chop the veg is that a bit of that gets crumbled up into smaller pieces and goes into the bowl together with cold water. By the time the veg are done, the wakame has rehydrated. Then I put in a good spoonful (tbsp?) of fresh miso paste and mix it to a thinner paste with the small amount of water left in the bowl (don't worry about the wakame, that doesn't really get in the way), still doing all this in the bowl. Add a tiny dash of toasted sesame oil and mix that in too. Finally I pour in the veg together with the water they're been cooking in, mix it all up together, add more miso if needed, add some diced tofu (you want nice fresh tofu with a good flavour), and a teaspoonful (possibly less) of sesame seeds. That's the basic soup without the rice or noodles, which I usually add. For the rice, just put the rice on ahead of time in the pan you're going to use, then add the water and the veg. For noodles, I generally go for fresh udon noodles, and you can sling them in the pan shortly before the veg are ready. If you are cooking veg of different hardnesses, such as carrot, mushroom, mange tout, add them one at a time. Apart from putting the rice on advance, the whole thing takes about five minutes and is dead tasty. It's more substantial with that red rice I mentioned, and no doubt healthier than those refined white noodles. I've used dried and fresh rice noodles in the past too. I think you can do pretty much anything with this. No idea about adding meat or fish, I've been veggie for 2/3 of my life, but I'm sure you can look up miso soup recipes easily enough.

Note that you're not boiling the miso, wakame or the tofu. Miso is delicate and is meant to be damaged by boiling, while I find that tofu gets rubbery if you put it in to boil. Diced fairly small, it warms up in the soup very quickly. As for wakame, it gets slimy if it's rehydrated for too long. You only need a small amount, it absorbs a lot of water.

I suspect this of having thermogenic properties, since it always warms me up and often brings out a sweat, but I've never found much info about it online. Who cares, it's delicious and healthy!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

Fat free cottage cheese with pineapple, Greek yogurt, strawberries/all fruits!, thin-cut pork chops with no fat, wheat germ (goes on a lot of things), frozen veggies of all kinds, occasional steak (filet mignon, no extra fat), fat free milk, whole grain cereals, almond granola bars, Crystal Lite drink mixes, Laughing Cow cheese wedges, low-fat Triscuit. I have an incurable sweet tooth and have found that Newton Fruit Thins cookies are exactly what I need to satisfy it. About 45 calories each. Diet ginger ale. Baked potatoes with yogurt instead of sour cream. Subway subs now and then.