Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Hit the wall and thinking of giving up. >

Hit the wall and thinking of giving up.

Community
Notices

Hit the wall and thinking of giving up.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:13 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hit the wall and thinking of giving up.

I am so disappointed at my weigh in today. I have been killing my workouts and my food intake.

And too my sadness I lost zero pounds this week.

Maybe I am just not meant to lose weight and be nice and skinny. So frustrating.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by gbargsley
I am so disappointed at my weigh in today. I have been killing my workouts and my food intake.

Maybe I am just not meant to lose weight and be nice and skinny. So frustrating.
You converted fat to muscle, that's a great first step. I have been a salesman for 35 years. One of the first things we learn (and later teach) is that "No" is not bad. It's the first necessary step to "yes".

A no loss weigh in is not bad.
It's the first necessary step to an awesome weigh in.

Keep on keeping on. You can do it.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:32 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default I'm going to be a nag here....

... hey, did you pick up those pounds over night? Nope, it took a while of lousy eating and lousy life style. So why do you think you can lose the weight over night.

My dear, it is all about sticking to the plan. I am so sorry that that you have had a bad week. Let's put it this way, our bodies want to protect themselves, so we need to do a little mind over body trick. (exactly who's the boss here??? you or your fat cells???)

DO NOT give up. That is exactly what your fat cells want you to do. Pick yourself up, shake yourself off, and keep moving down the path you have set out on. You WILL get there. Believe me (and about 500 other people who have gone before), it is all about persistance. And I know you have that.

OK, nag over... not go and do the right thing.

Pam
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM
FitDay Premium Member

You know, I think guys like us who are/have been very large are prone to weight swings.

I weighed on Thursday and was back up to 260--a 2lb. gain, today, I am at 253 down 7lbs in two days--it's just crazy. I KNOW that at my current weight and activity level that I can't physically lose 7 lbs of fat in a week (my calculations say slightly above 2.5 lbs).

My scale is reliable and consistant.

So what gives? It's got to be fluid retention is all I can think of. Now I drink on average about 9 pounds of fluid per day so it doesn't seem out of the question that some of that, due to workouts, sodium, whatever might get retained. Perhaps you've noticed that some days you hit the men's room 10 times a day (literally) and other days only a few times?

I know it's tough to do and I can't always manage it myself, but we just need to stop obsessing quite so much about the scale (note--trying to convince myself here as well ).

More importantly than the scale, how do you feel? 'Cause I'm here to tell you that the weight WILL go away if you stick to your plan and when it does, well, all I can say is that I feel great. Even did a little jogging during my 2 mile walk yesterday and finished in well under 30 minutes. A far cry from last May when I would almost collapse out of breath after walking 100 feet or stopping to rest half-way up one little flight of stairs.

So let's get this defeatist thinking right out of our heads, shall we? And continue with our plans.

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-09-2011, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Garry,
you'll notice that everyone who has responed to you has been "around" Fitday for a while - much longer than you. It takes a real commitment to be successful. You're still very young - you need to keep things in perspective - it may take twice as long as you would like (trust me-everyone here would like for the fat to melt away!) but it will be SOOO worth it for the rest of your life.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default If I can do it, SO CAN YOU!

Garry, I'm no expert, nor do I play one in a television sitcom. But this I do know. Keep it in perspective and step back occasionally and look at the big picture and then you can find the little victories that will keep you motivated. Be strong and focused and stay the course! There will be some temporary failures along the way but use them for redoubled effort and extra motivation.

Remember, we are humans, not machines…..

I not just talking the talk...I am walking the walk, literally!

A few factoids about my journey here.....

Male, age 59, 5' 10", started here at FitDay October 4th, 2010, 188 days ago
Starting weight----252 lbs
Today's weight-----176 lbs
Stumbles and disappointments along the way---a few
Feeling like giving up----Sure, a time or two
Getting re-motivated----Sure, many times and for many reasons
Feeling much more healthy and alive----You bet
Happy that I haven't quit----You bet
As of 4/8 —187 days ---HAVE WALKED 432.4 MILES – 2.31 mi/day avg
Perseverance pays off.....The results speak for themselves

Stick it out and don't quit on yourself! You deserve success and satisfaction.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither was Utica!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 AM
FitDay Member

Garry, I've been there a few times myself. Don't give up!!!

As a few other people have mentionned in other posts, take the time to do the body stats (measurements) if you aren't losing weight you may be losing inches.. I know this works for me as my scale seemed to be stuck, but doing the measurements I saw and felt the loss of inches and my clothes started to be looser and the smaller clothing was coming out again... Made me feel good about myself and why I am doing this.

Good luck!

Remember sounding boards are good....
Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 AM
FitDay Member

You can throw in the towel or use it to wipe your sweat. (from my wife's weight watchers journal)

Weight swings... I gain weight through my work week, the stress and other factors just cause it. A little metamucil on Friday (liter of it through the day) and on Sunday I weigh in, usually less than the previous Sunday.

Water weight and intestinal retention is my excuse. On Sunday mornings I'm usually pretty happy.

Dave
Old 04-17-2011, 06:28 PM
FitDay Member

I know it's easier said than done, but you (and I, and the rest of us) need to view our current state as the product of our lifestyle. Unfortunately this means that the only real life long solution is a complete lifestyle change and that means that there is no finish line. Once we get to the ideal weight we have to maintain it - and that's whole new challenge.

This is a mental battle as much as a physical one, if not more so. It's doable, though!

I'm coming up on a year at this, though I have had my own setback I'm back and going again. This is a "rest of my life" deal.

Hang tough...You can do this!