Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Fourth of July Lose 10% of Your Body Weigth Challenge Discussion >

Fourth of July Lose 10% of Your Body Weigth Challenge Discussion

Community
Notices

Fourth of July Lose 10% of Your Body Weigth Challenge Discussion

Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Way to go Terri. Make sure you are back on here as soon as you get back from your weekend. I want to hear how it felt going back feeling and looking good. You will also need to get back in the grove. Breaks like that can be deadly to the diet. Mary
Old 06-17-2011, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Way to go Michael!!!

You are an inspiration, as is everyone else in these forums. You are acutally gaining on me (no pun intended). I just wish I had the metabolism to let me lose weight faster, but I have hit alot of plateaux that I never realized I had before.

I do have to say that I do appreciate you issuing these challenges and look forward to the next one- where I shall endeavour to do just as well or better.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

Way to Go Albie! Good luck on your maintenance!

Congrats on reaching your goal Michael! You really are an inspiration.

I haven't done so well yet in this challenge. Only down about 5% still. I guess I do still have a little over two weeks but don't think I am going to achieve my full goal. The only way I can look at it is that I am still 15lbs less than I was on April 1st! And that is only improvement so I will take it!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

Warning: soapbox speech incoming!

This has been on my mind for some time, but, being something of a "live and let live" type of person, I've refrained from saying anything. But I think it may be a good time to reiterate this (soon-to-be-explained) belief. I tried to find the previous post that discussed this, but since I came up empty-handed (FitDay won't let me search for the word "only" since it's so common), here's my take on it:

Firstly, everyone in this community is so wonderful and so inspiring, whether you've lost 10 or 100 pounds, or somewhere in between - which is why I get so frustrated when I read some of you saying that you "only" lost 1# in a week, or that you're "only" down 5% of your body weight (@wildbeanerz - I don't mean to single you out - hopefully you'll forgive me in a moment when I explain why I mentioned your 5%!). Both of those are awesome accomplishments - losing 5% of your body weight is nothing to sneeze at, and every single ounce and every single pound adds up to success. Please do yourselves a favor and stop disparaging your success and, in turn, those who have also "only" lost a pound, or half a pound, etc. If someone were to say to you, "I lost a pound this week," I bet you'd say "That's awesome!" Do yourself the same good turn.

My confession? I used to do the same damn thing. My internal dialogue would run something like this: "Oh, I ONLY lost a lb this week! Why can't I lose any faster? I'm working so hard! I'll never get this stupid weight off!" Blah, blah, blah. I can't tell you exactly what changed that got me to stop thinking that way (probably the same tools for success as with anything - commitment, dedication, and consistency), but here's the thing. I've been at this for over a year, and I'm down about 70 pounds. Nope, it's not 100 pounds - not even close. Why? Because I lose on average roughly a pound a week, and I'm very, very happy with that.

I hope you all forgive me when I get a bit upset and even a bit offended when someone starts throwing around that "only" word when it comes to weight loss. I work very, very hard at losing "only" a pound (sometimes less) a week. I went from being a 250-pound, depressed, unmotivated, inactive person who ate mindlessly, to someone who eats mindfully and diligently, and works out 6-7 hours a week. My point here is that everyone's body is different - believe me, my calorie deficit is high enough that if math applied perfectly to my body, I'd be losing 2-3# a week. I don't, and that's perfectly okay. Would I love to lose faster? Sure! But I accept and know that I'm doing my best, and I'm getting results.

For the record, I'm "only" down 5% for this challenge - but shoot, that's 10 lbs, and, frankly, I'm pretty damn happy about that, and I refuse to take that feeling of accomplishment away from myself - I strongly encourage you all to make that same refusal.

Deep breath.

Stepping off soapbox.

Thanks for the space to vent - if I've ruffled some feathers, well, I'm okay with that. It won't change my continued support and encouragement for all of you.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 AM
FitDay Member

Changeisgood29 -

I am with you. That is why the end of my post says...
The only way I can look at it is that I am still 15lbs less than I was on April 1st! And that is only improvement so I will take it!
I do hate to put myself down for not achieving a goal. I know that I personally am horrible with goals My hubby, kids, close friends and I are so proud of what I have accomplished so far and I try to never take that away from myself. Even in the weak moments like I had last week where I am looking in the mirror and still seeing all the stuff I have left to lose.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:40 AM
FitDay Member

@wildbeanerz - I definitely don't mean to knock on anyone for venting! Weight loss is gradual and can be so frustrating - I definitely get that, and I definitely get the sense of "so, I've come this far, but I have X more to go...," and the disappointment of not reaching a goal, believe me. I just hate to see people who've accomplished something lose sight of that - my apologies for singling you out; I actually mentioned you because I can totally relate, as I'm down 5% in this challenge as well and wanted to show some solidarity.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

I am not offended at all.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kumochi
Way to go Terri. Make sure you are back on here as soon as you get back from your weekend. I want to hear how it felt going back feeling and looking good. You will also need to get back in the grove. Breaks like that can be deadly to the diet. Mary
I'd love to check in after I come back - it should be an interesting report to be sure! I did find out that the dinner is a "fixed" menu and I had one of four options - I chose the grilled salmon with rice pilaf and mixed veggies! Sounds delish, and a little bit of stress off my back knowing I won't be faced with a menu of temptation.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 AM
FitDay Premium Member

1%, 5%, 10% or more are all great! Really, these 10% challenges are just sort of a motivator--"10%" is just a nice, round, and totally arbitrary number. No one should feel bad about not making a full 10% or "only" losing half a pound or a pound a week. Heck, there's weeks I don't lose anything, or even show a gain. We're in this for the long haul and I've truly come to believe that "slow and steady" is the way to win this "race".

We are all at different points on this journey and everyone loses weight at a different rate. So I agree--let's make sure we all rejoice that we've got rid of some unwanted weight no matter how much.

Regards,
Michael
Old 06-17-2011, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

MIKE I thought the ten percent was a scientific figure arrived at after much research as to what was a proper amount to lose. Darn! I was so impressd with that number - although I was concerned how I would do it once I was down to 5 pounds to lose! I'll be happy with 4 percent this time as I took a detour for most of May. Your challange does help to motivate many and I look forward to the next one. Mary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.