Lost 10 lbs, then gained them back >

Lost 10 lbs, then gained them back

Community
Notices

Lost 10 lbs, then gained them back

Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 PM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Lost 10 lbs, then gained them back

It took me four months to loose 10 lbs by just trying to make slight changes in my diet, then went through a stressful time and gained them back in 1½ months. Now I'm lacking the motivation to try again. If any of you have been there, how did you beat the blues?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Leniosmin

I have been there and done that a few times unfortunately.

It is a tough one to get through but you can.

Firstly are your blues because of the putting weight back on or because of other things that are still stressing you? If it is still because of other things then trying to get yourself in a happier place with them will give you more motivation to lose again. You need a new perspective. Think of what little things you can do to make it a little better each day. Set yourself a little achievabble target about something in your life you want to change and at the end of each day think about the little bits of progress you have made.

I think that people try to change too much too fast - it's human nature after all! - and the only sure-fire way to change things is slowly but surely. And it's very important to congratulate yourself on small steps. If you have a day where you feel you achieved nothing, write it down (helps me!) and learn form it - what can you do tomorrow to try to do more?

If you have close friends share it with them. They will be pleased to share in your success.

I think it is really good (in a strange way!) that you are at a low point because that is when you find the motivation to get out of it. And you can. The ponds are back on and after beating yourself up about it for a while you realise that only you can do something about it again. It's all a state of mind. You have to be determined to succeed so I had to accept I'd mucked up and that it was onwards and upwards now.

So adopt a new battle cry - "I've done it before and I can do it again" and set some little goals. Even a pound off is a huge step in the right direction

I'd be happy to have a chat about it and feel free to post/ask for support. Makes a difference if there are others who understand the ups and downs.

So - here's to the future and a happier you

Sarah
x
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

Sarah's right about that "I've been there before, I can do it again" mentality. I lost 60 pounds only to slip big time and gain about 25 of it back (the joke is now that I like to be on a weight-loss mentality so I have to gain some back in order to give myself a project of losing it again)! Anyway, I just decided it was time to get things back on track, and that's exactly what I've done. A big motivator was that my pants weren't fitting anymore and I didn't have the budget to buy new ones, not to mention that I didn't want to have to buy a bigger size! So I just told myself that I had been in better shape, I knew how to get there, and I just had to put my mind to it and get back to that place. In 4 weeks, I'm down 12 pounds, so about half of what I had gained back. I feel great; strong, happy, and healthy. That feeling is way better than the taste of all the cookie dough I was eating that made me gain the weight back! I find it helps to pick an event, a goal, a something to work toward. But I don't necessarily mean a goal weight. For me, it helps to have an event to work toward. So when I found out I'd be going on a mini vacation around the first of May, I decided I needed to be in better shape by then. Planning at no more than a pound or two weight loss a week, I make achievable goals in the time I have. So if it helps, think easter, think spring break, think memorial weekend; a time when you might see friends of relatives that haven't seen you in a while and their reaction when you walk in looking amazing! That always motivates me! Best of luck!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by leniosmin
It took me four months to loose 10 lbs by just trying to make slight changes in my diet, then went through a stressful time and gained them back in 1½ months. Now I'm lacking the motivation to try again. If any of you have been there, how did you beat the blues?
Go see a hypnotist.