FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Weighing food (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/3783-weighing-food.html)

Rubystars 09-15-2011 12:43 PM

My food scale can switch between ounces and grams and I do notice most nutrition labels that have things by quanity also have it by weight for the serving size. For example I had a box of crackers and the serving size on it was 24 crackers, but the weight for the serving size was 30 grams on the label. So if I have a bunch of broken crackers at the bottom of the box I don't have to toss them out just weigh them.

Before I got my food scale I really wasn't able to eat anything but pre-packaged foods and count the calories accurately.

ripemango 09-15-2011 12:57 PM

i just received in the mail the bed bath and beyond circular and they have a pretty snazzy digital scale on sale. what caught my eye was the area you would put the food seemed large enough to accommodate a plate.

Mine is a regular, manual? old food scale and the area you put the food/plate on is just a couple inches in width. Kind of annoying really the space is so small.

VitoVino 09-15-2011 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rubystars (Post 56888)
So if I have a bunch of broken crackers at the bottom of the box I don't have to toss them out just weigh them.

LOL I never thought about that. Good idea. I'd always just guestimate the broken crackers.

Originally Posted by ripemango (Post 56892)
i just received in the mail the bed bath and beyond circular and they have a pretty snazzy digital scale on sale.

Before you buy anything, you may want to go to "the website with the name that sounds like a tropical rain forest" just to check out their reviews. They may have one on your potential scale purchase.

There's a scale with over 2,500 reviews there, and the bulk of them are 5 star ratings. That's the one I just got. It does grams, ounces, kilograms, and pounds.

And from now on, I don't have to go to the post office to have them weigh my small packages before I put postage on them.

ripemango 09-15-2011 02:22 PM

i hadn't even thought about amazon, but i really should have. everything is on there.

i think i see the 1 you purchased and it's a better price. Incredible reviews, wow. Add to wish list.

thx Vito!

Rubystars 09-17-2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 56906)
LOL I never thought about that. Good idea. I'd always just guestimate the broken crackers.

Thanks I usually go by weight on serving sizes now. I measured out a serving of rice by weight and it was smaller than the cup measure would have shown it.

So if it's oatmeal or rice or anything like that I go by the serving size in ounces or grams, not "one cup".

Kohsamui 09-18-2011 03:36 AM

Haven't checked out this scale yet, but I got one that does grams, ounces, etc. at Walmart for around $20. Feel real good about the job it's doing...

snafuken 09-20-2011 12:08 PM

On the topic of scales.....
Are we suppose to weight meat raw or cooked for recording purposes?

Rubystars 09-20-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by snafuken (Post 57385)
On the topic of scales.....
Are we suppose to weight meat raw or cooked for recording purposes?

I think raw, but I think there are some entries in the system for cooked meat too.