Notices

New Here...Need Help Please!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default New Here...Need Help Please!

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Actually I began exercising on August 9, 2010 and also began watching what I ate. I'm now full force into the whole fitness thing and have lost 11 pounds since that day. I joined another website that helps you to track your progress and today I found this site. I decided to join here and see if I can get more advice on how to achieve my goals. My first goal here is to lose 14 pounds by the beginning of December. I believe that is doable but so far it has taken me 8 weeks just to lose the 11 I lost. On the other website under the exercise category it tells you to "eat" back the calories you have burned through your workout. Not so sure this is benefiting me. Right now Fit Day says I need 1234 calories to reach my first goal by December. Do they take into account the calories you have burned? I workout 6 mornings a week rotating between Turbo Jam, Step Aerobics, and Crunch workouts. Can anyone help me since I'm new here? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

From my experience it helps to pay attention to your calorie pie, calorie counting is important, but if you're working out like crazy then you also need to make sure you get enough protein to benefit from the workouts. Your body can't build muscle without the proper nutrition, and the more lean muscle mass you have, the more efficient your body is at burning fat. Having said that I can tell you that different people have different opinions on what the right percentage of protein is, and since we are all different it makes sense that there is more than one right answer. I shoot for my protein intake to be 30-40% of my calories, and struggle to keep my carbs below 50%.

I would also recommend that you drink lots of water, 64 oz baseline + another 8 oz for every 10 pounds you want to lose. I think 14 pounds by 12/1 is doable, it's 2 pounds/week, but I also think it's going to take some serious dedication on your part to make it. I would recommend that until 12/1 you don't cheat (not even on the weekends), abstain from alcohol and white foods (white flour, white rice and white potatoes) and make sure you get plenty of rest and water water water. You might also want to limit sodium, but that varies person to person.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

Smile New Here....3rd day

Hello Everyone....Happy Day to you. I'm new to fitday and very open to any positive, constructive input or feedback relating to continuous weight loss and staying on track. I don't have any form of structured exercise plan, I just try to walk and strength train on the regular or as often as possible. I do however, put forth conscious efforts towards watching what I eat, eating every 2 to 3 hours, and drinking plenty of water. My weight loss plan is built a great deal around the 16 week body make-over and this week only, the plan boosts 10 pound weight loss (good now/bad later?). My ultimate weight loss goal, long term, is to lose 80-85lbs, which I'm confident in my abilities to stay the course, just so long as I see some sort of regular results.

I joined fitday to see if I can get more advice on how to achieve my goals. My first goal, short-term, is to lose 20 pounds before the end of the year (doable...right?) The weight loss plan I'm adhereing to allows for 17 min a day workouts, which is weird. Has anyone had results on less workout and do I have to subscribe to the paid fitday service to ascertain how many calories or how much workout time is required to reach my short and long term goals. If not, where would I find that information...

Thanks and best of luck to you in your weight loss efforts.

Last edited by bgaily2003; 10-06-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by BrMc777
Right now Fit Day says I need 1234 calories to reach my first goal by December. Do they take into account the calories you have burned? Can anyone help me since I'm new here? Thanks!
I am not sure where you found the 1234 calories calculation but here is my take. To lose 14 pounds by December 1st you will need to lose 1.75 pounds per week. Since a pound of bodyweight equates to approximately 3500 calories you will need to maintain a calorie deficit of 875 per day or 6125 per week to attain your goal. (875 X 7days = 6125, 6125/3500 = 1.75 lbs).

Assuming you have already entered your height, weight and activity level into Fitday to get your Base Metabolic Rate(BMR) the formula for achieving the 875 calorie deficit is:
BMR + Exercise - Food calories = Calorie deficit.

Note that Fitday asks you to select a daily activity level that it includes in your BMR. So you only need to add exercise and/or activity that you perform in addition to your norm.

Hope this helps and Congratulations on the 11 pounds already lost!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bgaily2003
I joined fitday to see if I can get more advice on how to achieve my goals. My first goal, short-term, is to lose 20 pounds before the end of the year (doable...right?) The weight loss plan I'm adhereing to allows for 17 min a day workouts, which is weird. Has anyone had results on less workout and do I have to subscribe to the paid fitday service to ascertain how many calories or how much workout time is required to reach my short and long term goals. If not, where would I find that information...
Thanks and best of luck to you in your weight loss efforts.
20 pounds by January 1 (12 weeks by my calculations) is very doable! That is 1.67 pounds per week. Similar to my post above you would need to maintain a caloric deficit of 830 per day or 5810 per week. I won't do all the math again but you just need to insert your numbers into the formula: BMR + Exercise - Food calories = Calorie deficit

I don't know why a plan would limit workouts to 17 minutes? I have had success doing High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT, you can google it) work outs that were about 20 minutes in length. I have my doubts about a weight lifting routine, that only allowed 17 minutes, effectiveness. I try to keep my weight lifting to about an hour and limit rest to 60-90 seconds between sets. While exercising too much can be detrimental (over training) unless your current fitness level is so low you cannot walk up a flight of stairs 17 minutes may be too low. Just rember that lower fitness levels and/or higher intensity workouts may require more recovery time.

No, you don't need to subscribe to Fitday (I don't think the additional services will provide exactly what you are looking for, but I am a free user). Your weight loss is influenced by both diet (calories) and exercise. The more you exercise the more calories you can eat and still lose weight. But there is an old adage that says you can't out train a bad diet.

Last edited by rpmcduff; 10-07-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 AM
FitDay Member

Default WOW......Ron

Congrats Ron, that's so awesome over 45lbs in 4 months and still going. That's certainly praise worthy. Thank you for your insightful input and feedback, I surea appreciate you taking the time.

I do like high intensity was actively involved and I think I will increase my workout time and perhaps consider adjusting the type of workout. Are you a gym member....are you working with a personal trainer or are you truly doing it alone?

Thanks again for your great input...best of luck
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calorie Deficit

Just a heads up, my metabolism is as slow as molasses, so I put my activity level as sedentary. Then I add in any exercise on the day I do it. However, if I eat, say, 300 more calories on Tuesday then my budget calls for - which is often - then I'll work out and burn off 300 calories on Wednesday.

This method had been pretty consistently awesome and I've actually lost more weight then the goal chart estimates I'll lose.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bgaily2003
Congrats Ron, that's so awesome over 45lbs in 4 months and still going. That's certainly praise worthy. Thank you for your insightful input and feedback, I surea appreciate you taking the time.

I do like high intensity was actively involved and I think I will increase my workout time and perhaps consider adjusting the type of workout. Are you a gym member....are you working with a personal trainer or are you truly doing it alone?

Thanks again for your great input...best of luck
Thank you but before you bestow superman status to me my weight loss of 45lbs has taken over a year. I have lost 30 of those pounds since joining Fitday in January of this year. I am looking for a big finish for the year and achieving my goal weight of 200lbs (which I originally set for November 1st but there is no earthly way I will make it in the next few weeks.) Even if it takes a little longer than I hoped it is still worth it. I have always approached this as a journey and a lifestyle change rather than something I would only do until I acheived my goal anyway.

I am doing this on my own, no gym, no trainer. Just me. The motivation, informtion, support and advice here on Fitday and Bodybuilding.com (where I heard about Fitday) have helped me along the way.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Help

Can somebody help me, how this program work . I need to loos 30pound.,, I dont have energy. I'm tryed many diet. I have cravi for chocolate, candy, Im not sure if its because I have 2 kids 4 and 7 years.Also I need advice what to eat. HELP pleaseeeee
Old 11-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Ron,

You deserve the superman status! You'll hit your 200 soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.