FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Jumping Rope (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/3641-jumping-rope.html)

Crimpet 03-09-2011 02:38 AM

Jumping Rope

Anyone have any experience using rope jumping as a method for exercise? Please share!

Skiboy1 03-09-2011 02:50 AM

My trainer uses it with me. I jump 50 times to warm up before we start. Sometimes it is in the days routine. Like I do ten of something (step ups, burpies, etc) jump rope for a minute, row machine for 3 minutes, jump rope for a minute, rest. And so on. She never uses it for more than a couple of minutes though as she does not like the "High Impact" effect on legs and hips.

01gt4.6 03-09-2011 03:02 AM

I have some experience with it. It's one hell of a workout!

Crimpet 03-10-2011 07:20 PM

Ski- What are burpies exactly? I keep hearing about how people do them, but have no idea what they are talking about. Have you noticed a difference with the rope jumping?

01- What's your routine with rope jumping?

Skiboy1 03-11-2011 02:37 AM

A burpie is a move done on one of those step up platforms. You start by standing up at the platform like you are going to step up. But you bend over and place your hands on the platform like a "Push up" position. You then jump your feet together out behind you (again like a push up position). Then you jump your feet back under you and stand up. One! Do it again. Two!

My trainer does it like this:
Burpies for 1 minute 20 seconds

Walk around the gym with her hanging on a strap around my waist for 1 minute 20 seconds

Jump rope for 1 minute 20 seconds

Walk around gym carring a 75 pound weight for 1 minute 20 seconds

Rest - 2 minutes.

Do this 4 times in a half hour session. I can now jump about 60 times in that time. When I started I was lucky to do 20.

The other thing she does is:
Jump rope, 50 jumps.
10 Burpies.
Up to 2 minute rest.
Jump rope, 45 jumps.
9 Burpies.
Up to 2 minute rest.
Jump rope, 40 jumps.
8 Burpies.
Up to 2 minute rest.
Jump rope, 35 jumps.
7 Burpies.
Up to 2 minute rest.
Jump rope, 30 jumps.
6 Burpies.
Up to 2 minute rest.
Jump rope, 25 jumps.
5 Burpies.
Up to 2 minute rest.
Jump rope, 20 jumps.
4 Burpies.
Up to 2 minute rest.
Jump rope, 15 jumps.
3 Burpies.
Up to 2 minute rest.
Jump rope, 10 jumps.
2 Burpies.
Up to 2 minute rest.
Jump rope, 5 jumps.
1 Burpie.
Done

When I started I could not finish. I was done at 6 burpies the first time.
The first time I finished it took 47 minutes, I had a few rests more than 2 minutes.

Tuesday I finished 34 minutes with no rest over 2 minutes and almost no rest between burpies 3, 2, and 1.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

beccafries 03-11-2011 03:37 AM

wow burpies sound rough!!

Skiboy1 03-11-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by beccafries (Post 39253)
wow burpies sound rough!!

They are! The higher the step the easier they are.