Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
The Healthy Community #2 >

The Healthy Community #2

Community
Notices

The Healthy Community #2

Old 02-09-2010, 09:51 AM
FitDay Member

Back in 2007 I had a terrible experience, a combination of 3 family deaths, work stress, home stress, menopause...anyways I did this big horrible crash. I started having panic attacks and terrible anxiety, I totally lost my appetite and I lost over 25 pounds in a very short amount of time. I was "skinny" as I wasn't as heavy as I am now when I started dropping all that weight. It was awful!! I felt like crap every single day, I was so weak I couldn't do much. My skin hung on me, my muscle mass disintegrated. I looked OLD, felt OLD. Not a pretty sight.

It took me a long time to recover from that, as well as meds, hormone replacement, lifestyle change - I could no longer GO GO GO, like I did before. To this day, almost 3 years later I still have to watch out for anxiety.

So, my reason for telling this story??? Losing weight by starving yourself is A VERY BAD IDEA!! It is too hard on your body. I regained all that weight I had lost and then some, and now I struggle to get back down to a healthy weight.

So I guess my advice is to TRY and maintain a fairly "normal" life while you are doing this. Yes, watch what you eat, but don't totally isolate yourself from "real life" while you try and lose weight. Instead try and make better choices. And occasionally, like once a week, allow yourself to indulge in something yummy!! If you remove yourself from your life, you will become resentful of the "diet" and want to quit. It is a learning experience for us all!!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone,

Kathie, wow, you have really overcome alot of challenges!! Good advice.

Needtolose, In my opinion your calorie intake is far too low. Yes, we need to make sure we have a calorie deficit, that is necessary; but going to extremes can be counter productive, cause the body to go into starvation mode, and then you will not lose weight. I know this, because I have starved myself in the past. It creates all kinds of havoc physically and mentally. This is something that will take time. Cut back the calories, eat healthy, and exercise. In my own experience, you can't always trust what doctors say. You have to make your own decisions that feel right for you. That is my opinion anyways...I still struggle myself, so I write this as a reminder to myself as well.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning, everyone! So I did more intense half an hour today, really put in an effort and stepped it up so I managed to cover seven tenths of a mile in the same time. I'm gonna wear a hole in the floor with my silly little exercise.

I threatened to buy a treadmill last night, and Grady's face was awesome. He looked at me like I had lost my mind. We live in an apartment on the third floor. I wonder if someone running on a treadmill would sound like elephants dancing up here to the folks below us. Not that they are allowed to complain about noise, they live BELOW us and make our floor vibrate at least once a day.

Not that I'm trying to be insane about calorie burn or anything, but the apartment's about due for a good cleaning, too. And I work up a sweat cleaning!

Wow, Kathie, that is a lot to go through, and its so wonderful that you've managed to keep your wonderful attitude. As bright and cheerful as you are I would never have imagined such turmoil!

So I have a general question. I know adding good fat, like olive oil is important to your daily diet, what I can't remember is the amount you're supposed to have every day. Its like 120 precious precious calories a tablespoon () so I don't want to over do it, but I'd like to start incorporating it into my diet.

I hope everyone's having a lovely day!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

Morning everyone
Scale is finally coming down this week,,,I was up a pound on monday and took me three days to get it off. Hoping to end the week with a loss still. So frustrating to work all week at losing to easily gain it back and then try to lose it again.. I really need to work harder on the weekends.

Need2losen2010, I would be concerned, IMHO, if I told my dr how much I exercised, how little I eat and am having dizziness etc and then she said to drink Gatorade? I am glad she ordered blood tests though,,,let us know how you make out.

Hi Diane, Im not sure what the recommended amount is but just make sure to measure it out...its so easy to misjudge by just pouring. Avacadoes and nuts also have healthy fats in them that are good for your body....but like the oil you have to measure them out as well.

have a great day everyone!

Last edited by pattialbert; 02-10-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default Slipped up last nite

Ok I slipped up last nite. I ate dinner and then a few hours later the crazies hit. I know I should have gone into cleaning mode since that seems to work for some of you, and I WANT to be that person, but, instead hamburger, hamburger, hamburger was all my mind kept screaming at me. So I made a cheseburger. I logged that into fitday this am. Maybe I just had to get it out of my system (or rather in my system). I don't think I was really that hungry it was more emotional eating. It's hard to be healthy all the time. I hate when I sabotage myself. But starting back to healthy eating today.

And I will ride the x bike extra minutes to try and compensate.

Mary
Old 02-10-2010, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

Diane, Weight Watchers suggests 2 teaspoons of olive oil. |I have been using ground flax seed this week, rather than the oil. I just add it to cereal or oatmeal. I don't care for fish, so I need to find my omega 3s elsewhere.

I got the 'munchies' last night too Mary! Oh man, I hate that. I settle on a few nuts and raisins, and when that didn't satifsy I had a WW whole wheat english muffin and peanut butter. Cranked the calories for the day to 1500, hopefully I will still be ok at that.

Today is hump day, half way to the weekend!! And for us Canadians it is a long weekend! Woohoo!! Have a wonderful day everybody!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 AM
FitDay Member

Hi guys, just popped in to say hello and see what's happening as I fill out my food log for the day!

Kathie, thanks for sharing your story with us and emphasising that it isn't all about how quickly you lose the weight, it really is about choosing to eat healthier and better and your body will respond in a positive way to that, rather than starving yourself which your body naturally hates!

Don't feel too bad about the burger Mary, it's hardly the end of the world. Just because you chose to have one yesterday doesn't mean that you will today.

I am on a high today because of the changes i can see in myself. I wore a little black dress today that I haven't fitted into since Christmas 08, it was snug on me then, today it was not. I am not weighing till Friday, hope I have lost again but I really don't mind, the difference is there already! Thank you all for sharing tips and food knowledge, it really is helpful coming here.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

Hey all,

I am back to really logging everything in, lowering my carbs, upping the protein and wow, I gained a pound! But I know that is how this thing works so I'm not too pissed off, just continuing on track. I'm actually not eating enough calories even though I'm not hungry. I have to work on upping the exercise. It is rainy and cold in San Francisco so I am going to go up and down our stairs (6 floors) several times a day instead of trying to walk the hills. Wish me luck!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 AM
FitDay Member

Red face

Hey Dianne - congrats on your committment to working out. I would think a treadmill would be less noisy to the neighbours then someone running on the spot overhead. They are so big however so don't know if I would go that route. A few years ago I bought my husband a Tony Little Gazelle - one that has the hydralics on it. I have never been one to use it as I walk everyday in the a.m. However about 3 weeks ago I had a really bad fall on ice and hit my head (three years ago I broke my elbow walking as well) So a couple of the icey mornings I have gotten on the Gazelle. I must say - it really gives my legs a work out! I would not buy a new one as I am too cheap and they are too expensive but if you can find one on Kijiji or Craigslist for a reasonable price (have seen them around here from 40 - 100 $) I would buy that instead of a treadmill - cheaper and takes up less room. Apparently the treadmills that fold up are not as good as the ones that have the stationary base/
That's just my two cents
Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for the input. I've thought about those off and on, and I like the idea of no impact, too. I've harbored the insane little idea for years and years that I would like to be a runner, but of course, like dieting, in the past I've always let myself get discouraged. And while I fully intend on getting outside once it starts warming up, it would be nice to have something as a back up for when the weather is bad, and it might be a better jumping off place. I'll look into it and see what I can find! Are they super heavy or anything, my only concern would be getting it up all those stairs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.