Notices

Ask an (ex) 400+ Pound Guy Anything!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
FitDay Member

Default holding back?

My question is... did you have anyone holding you back? And how did you overcome them to move forward? I have my husband skinny as a rail saying "you don't have to diet just eat one meal a day" he eats like 10 giant size meals and loses about 3 pounds. I have tried to explain it's not healthy, but whatever I asked for support with the diet, but yeah... I guess because he never had that he's not open? But anyway... how did you get past it?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by VirusInside
What has been the most challenging aspect of your weight loss battle? And when did it really "click" for you that your goal was really possible? I know for me it used to seem so grim, so bleak. I always felt trapped in my own body, like I was doomed to live out my life like this. When did you really start to realize that this change was possible?

Also, what about the mental aspect of losing weight? And by that I mean, trying to get your mental image of your self to match up with the new body? I know when I lost weight a few years back, I still thought of myself, and saw myself, as a fat guy. Even though I wasn't. I know that's something I'm going to have to deal with again.

Sorry for the lengthy interview.
More great questions!

Well, this is my third time at the serious weight loss rodeo. Of course, I've lost 10, 50, 70 pounds here and there (and gained it all back in short order) but this is third time I've gotten my "switch" fully flipped and stuck with it. So, I knew/know it can be done. I guess back in May I was really having trouble getting around--I'd have to stop and catch my breath half-way across the Wal-Mart parking lot (of course, after circling 12 times to find a close enough space). And, my back was acting up really badly--was walking with two canes at one point--pretty sad for a 46y/o guy. It just finally sunk in that I was driving towards a runaway freight train at 90 miles an hour and the outcome was not going to be pretty.

I guess it was really after the first six weeks when I was finally able to step on my 400 lb capacity scale and get a reading instead of an error message that I knew things were going good and that I was going to stick with it. Of course, by that time I was already feeling much better and had started dropping pants sizes which was great.

Yup, I'm still a fat guy masquerading as a (right now) somewhat pudgy guy. I don't know if this mind set will ever go away. I agree it's really weird to feel that way--sort of like you're playing a role or are somehow living a secret life. I can say that I realize (and yes, I check ) that I generally no longer attract amazed stares, whispers, pointed fingers, rude comments and the like so the "sideshow attraction" of being in the 99th percentile weight-wise is gone. I am no longer as self conscience in crowds or going new places.

It's rather nice to be (almost) normal.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-18-2011, 12:18 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Thanks, Michael. I've been reading and rereading posts in order to get & stay motivated. Yours are great and thanks for the Yoda quote. It's hanging in front of me. Lois
Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Ha ha--I know I've seen a book by a lady who lost lots of weight--I forget the exact title.
Half Assed, can't think of her name though.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by poohcl13
My question is... did you have anyone holding you back? And how did you overcome them to move forward? I have my husband skinny as a rail saying "you don't have to diet just eat one meal a day" he eats like 10 giant size meals and loses about 3 pounds. I have tried to explain it's not healthy, but whatever I asked for support with the diet, but yeah... I guess because he never had that he's not open? But anyway... how did you get past it?
You know, I see on the forums here many times about spouses and others not being supportive or even (perhaps not meaning to) being saboteurs to people's weight loss endeavors.

For me, personally, I couldn't care less what other people do or say. Once my "switch" is flipped, I can't be stopped. My wife eats candy, brings home Chinese, sits on her butt watching TV; so what? I eat my 1500 calories of decent food and do my exercise. If we go out to eat together, I order the healthiest thing I can and get a take-out box with the meal and immediately transfer half the meal to it.

Really, weigh loss is an individual decision and no one can make us lose weight, or gain weight. It is up to us what we do or do not put into our mouths. Is it perhaps easier with full support? Of course. But is it impossible w/o it? Absolutely not. Just make up your mind to DO IT come hell or high water--that's my take on the situation, anyway.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-18-2011, 01:15 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Half Assed, can't think of her name though.
Yeah, that's it. By Jennette Fulda. An Amazon search also comes up with many similar works. So, if anyone is interested in how other extra large people have lost the weight and/or dealt with being big, there are books out there to inform you. Perhaps I'll even check one out myself .

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-18-2011, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

mike i don't have a question YET...lol....but i just want to say how great of you to put yourself out there to answer everyone's questions. keep up the great work i know you'll get to your goal.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by staceyalberta
mike i don't have a question YET...lol....but i just want to say how great of you to put yourself out there to answer everyone's questions. keep up the great work i know you'll get to your goal.
Thanks, Stacey. And really, I find this therapeutic as well and if I can help someone else (even if they learn from my mistakes), that's a little payback for my good fortune.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-18-2011, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

Can I ask another question? When you were eating at your worst, what would a typical day look like, food-wise, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Can I ask another question? When you were eating at your worst, what would a typical day look like, food-wise, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc?
OK, this isn't for the faint of heart--ladies, children and gentlemen with weak constitutions may want to leave the theater!

Breakfast, generally was not so bad--a big bowl of cereal usually. But if we went out to a breakfast buffet--oh my! I'd think nothing of putting away several helpings of scrambled eggs, a doz. sausages, strip after strip of bacon, a big pile of hash browns, probably some french toast, a glass or two of OJ, at least a couple muffins w/butter and likely a danish (or two) for dessert.

Again, lunch, not so bad on most occasions, though I would sometimes make a dash to MickyD's for a couple Quarter Pounders w/cheese, large fries, choc shake and a couple of apple pies.

Chinese buffet--again, at least three heaping plates--if I could physically eat more, I generally did. Of course, accompanied by several large Cokes.

Now, supper was probably my worst. To make things even more bad, I kinda got into the habit of having some alcohol most every night. Let me tell you, this is NOT a good idea. Getting buzzed (at least for me) generally takes away and small amount of "food conscience" I might have had. After tanking up on beer (usually a couple 25oz Foster's) or a screwdriver (8 oz. glass mixed 50/50 w/vodka and grapefruit juice) I'd go raid the fridge and cupboards. Oh, look, a box of pop-tarts--well, there goes four of them, what else we got? One of those ginormous Wal-Mart subs? Yup, gone! Now that we've got several thousand calories inside us, and a nice buzz, what should we do? Why go to go to bed of course!

And, while we're having full disclosure, there were the occasional binge eating sessions (planned well ahead of time, usually when home alone). How about a 6 pack of beer, a big sandwich, followed by a pint of Ben and Jerry's (Chubby Hubby or New York Superchunk) and a box of (not so)Thin Mints or a few candy bars or a dozen Dunkin' Donuts? There's just something addictive about a pulse-pounding 4 or 5K calorie carb rush!

So, there it is. Addictive, self-destructive, disturbing, abnormal behavior being done on a regular basis by a reasonably intelligent adult who was more than aware of the consequences and probable eventual outcome. Pretty sad, eh?

For anyone interested in gaining weight, the above regiment works pretty darned well, but I can't say I'd recommend it .

How far we've come in nine months!

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.