Notices

Confusing Weigh In

Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default Confusing Weigh In

Well, I weighed in today and the result was not what I expected. I gained 2 pounds!!

This week was not the best as far as exercise because I tweaked my back last Sunday digging a fence poll out of the ground. So I took it easy Monday - Wednesday while still watching my calorie intake. I started back working out Thursday and walked Friday.

So at the very least I figured I would maintain. I just cannot figure out even if I am eating 1300-1500 calories a day and not working out I should maintain and even loose compared to the food I used to put away in a day.

I am thinking about going to the doctor to see if there is something out of balance in my body or hopefully not something more serious.

Well, that is my rant for the week. Maybe one of these weeks I will have some positive news to report.

GarryB
Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hmmm--well, I have had a week or two, even back when I was much heavier that I didn't lose or even saw a pound or two gain. Often, though, if I checked the next day I would see a loss. I've got to believe this was due to fluid retention--one extra salty meal can make your cells retain a LOT of fluid.

Why not weigh again in a day or two?

How's your water intake, BTW?

The back issues suck big time, I know having "been there and done that" more than once. My back is so much better with some of the weight gone.

I've got to say just keep on doing what you're doing, keep calories down and the protein up, drink water 'till your sick of it (there are days I literally walk to the men's room every 15 minutes) and get back to the exercise as soon as your back allows.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the response Michael.. You are a true inspiration to me and you seem to always give good advice.

I won't lie, I have been at this for a little over 6 weeks and have started to feel why bother. Then I think about my goals that I have set and how I find it a challenge to meet goals I set. So I am going to stick with it, hit it harder and get back on track to meet my first mini goal.

The water intake is a lot better. I have gotten up to around 100 oz. a day. I have not gotten to the 1 gallon you suggested last week. I have not gotten up so many times during the night to use the restroom in my life. I think it was worse when I was not working out earlier in the week because I was not sweating off any water. When I workout, I do not go to the restroom as much.

Thanks again for all the encouragement. I look forward to it all getting easier as I drop more weight.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:33 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Garry, it WILL happen. We all want the flab to go away fast, but really, it goes on over time and it comes off over time.

I've really noticed my losses increase, even after so long on plan when I upped my water intake. I do taper off in the afternoon because I, too, hate to get up several times during the night. I generally have a 16 ounce glass after breakfast w/my vitamins, at least 4 liters during the day, than another 16 ounce glass with supper. I don't count the morning three large cups of black coffee. Unless it's my monthly "day off", water and black coffee is all I drink.

Good for you jogging! My knees are so bad from the years of supporting my weight that I don't dare to try yet--perhaps when I'm closer to 200 lbs later this summer/fall.

Keep us posted as to how your doing--failure is NOT an option!

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

I had one today too. By my log this should have been a - 6 pound week and my log has been right on for weeks. Today I was -3 instead. I have no idea why, but next week I am going to really pour it on!

Big victory in the pool however.

When I started I would do ten laps of crawl, one resting stroke (breast, side or back), 9 of crawl, one resting and so on to 1 and 1. 66 laps total.

The first time I did it I took 1 hour 7 minutes and did a lot of extra rest laps.

Thursday I did it in 37 minutes and had no extra rest strokes, I even did the last rest stroke as crawl so I just powered through the last 4 laps!

PS: For me what is happening is as much about what is going on between my ears as what is going on with my fork and spoon. I have seen a weight loss hypnotist in group session once a month for the last three months. This cost me 25 bucks a session and has been the best $75 dollars spent on weight loss ever in my life. The first session didn't seem to do much other than make me comfortable with the process, but the results from the next two sessions have been amazing. I do not struggle with temptation like I have in the past and doing exercise has become something I look forward to rather than dread. You may want to consider it.

Last edited by Skiboy1; 03-19-2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Edit to add PS
Old 03-19-2011, 02:48 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Skiboy1
I had one today too. By my log this should have been a - 6 pound week and my log has been right on for weeks. Today I was -3 instead. I have no idea why, but next week I am going to really pour it on!

Big victory in the pool however.

When I started I would do ten laps of crawl, one resting stroke (breast, side or back), 9 of crawl, one resting and so on to 1 and 1. 66 laps total.

The first time I did it I took 1 hour 7 minutes and did a lot of extra rest laps.

Thursday I did it in 37 minutes and had no extra rest strokes, I even did the last rest stroke as crawl so I just powered through the last 4 laps!
Sometimes our bodies just don't adhere to the math--rather annoying! But, on average, I find the losses to be pretty close to the prediction.

Congrats on the swimming! It's amazing how quickly our bodies can adapt to a little TLC.

I was able to finally trade my winter boots in for my sneakers yesterday and did my 1.5 mile walk in 22 minutes. (It was 60 degrees and sunny yesterday--this morning there was half an inch of snow on the ground!). Time to add some more distance to my lunch time loop and get back closer to a full 30 minutes.

Regards,
Michael