Notices

Maintaining Focus, Motivation, and Drive

Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
My weight has stayed the same and I know my bf% HAS NOT gone down. Does it aggravate me? Hell, yeah! I bust my ass in the gym, lifting heavy compound lifts 3 days a week and I get nothing in return.

A while back I decided to bulk to put on some extra muscle, and it backfired. It was my 1st time trying to bulk and I did it wrong. I decided that I'd have to chose one or the other, and seeing that I can't bulk the right way, I decided to continue to cut. This has been going on for a while and I still don't see progress. So now matter how hard I try to change my body composition, I just seem to maintain.
Hey Mike,
Not meaning to proselytize too much, but have you looked into a Crossfit gym? There is one in Slidell. It may be the push to get thru the %BF issues.

The gyms are totally basic: free weights, pull ups/push ups, with a few "devices" like rowing machines, and back extention stands. The program is focused on muscle training that will help with in any sport. They do some sprinting, jump rope and for those way stronger than I can image, rope climbing and rings. But the coaches are great at toning it down for us mortals.

The program and gyms look intimidating at first and a little too testoserone pumped, but it is all about helping all the atheletes reach their potential, so the coaches are great (not warm and fuzzy, mind you, but really good a pulling your best effort out of you) How it all works is a little hard to expain in post and I found the website almost as intimating as the gym, but drop by the gym and check it out if you get a chance.

BTW I feel OK about preaching the Crossfit gosple here because I do so much preaching about FitDay there. Quid pro qou .

Pam
Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

One of the things that works for me is keeping a log....food diary, exercise log whatever. I don't focus on what I can't do, but what I can. Tomorrow I will do one more lap, one more minute on the treadmill etc. It keeps me moving forward without getting discouraged. I have severe arthritis so my gains have to be small. But it is still amazing what can be done one step at a time. I spent two years in a wheelchair. Now I can walk 2.0 miles on the treadmill. I can only do 2 mph but for me, that is a huge improvement in my fitness level, muscle mass and quality of life. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mark999
I was tired of feeling run down all of the time.

What I've learned about myself with this thread is that many other aspects of my life are unfulfilled. This eventually leads me to the self destructive behavior of overeating, making poor choices and failing to exercise. I get into that cycle of "why bother?" thinking. I guess this is a form of 'all or nothing' ideology.

I also live in a desolate place. I think some new scenery would go a long way in giving me some motivation. My new focus is going to be finding a new place to live. One that's inspiring rather than depressing.
I love this quote that I lifted from a favorite movie. The character and movie will be revealed later.

“It's a great thing, when you realize you still have... the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about……”

Mark, I read your post and the comments of the respondents with great interest. It appears to me that you are taking great pains to improve yourself within many arenas. I definitely applaud you for that effort.
I can tell you that when I am aware, focused and motivated, I achieve good things. Conversely, when I’m not motivated, I ain’t worth sh*t!

Most people would agree that Intrinsic Motivation is the most effective and sustainable to work with. Toward that end, I went looking for a little insight to share with the group. Following are some excerpts worth noting that may be helpful to you and worth further investigation.
(Albie's comments are parenthesized) Bibliography follows

Three Factors That Promote Intrinsic Motivation

Challenge
---People are best motivated when they are working toward personally meaningful goals whose attainment requires activity at an optimal (intermediate) level of difficulty.

Set personally meaningful goals. Make attainment of goals probable but uncertain.
Get ongoing performance feedback. (Log your foods, moods, activities and weight.)
Relate goals to individuals’ self esteem. (Give yourself the occasional attaboy and reward.)

Control---People have a basic tendency to want to control what happens to them.

Understand all the cause-and-effect relationships (Activity AND inactivity has consequences.)
The individual needs to believe that their work will lead to powerful outcomes.
Individuals should be able to freely choose what they want to do and how they will do it.

Recognition---Individuals feel satisfaction when others recognize and appreciate their accomplishments.

Recognition requires that the process or product or outcome be visible to self and others.
Recognition differs from competition. It is not a comparison to the performance of someone else.

The whole enchilada can be found here:
Intrinsic Motivation
Annotated Bibliography

In closing, remember Lester Burnham in American Beauty? Played by Kevin Spacey? Now he was a character with intrinsic motivation! Read on.

Dialogue between Lester Burnham and the couple next door, Jim and Jim.
Lester is running to catch up with them as they are out jogging.

Lester----Hey, guys.
Jim----Lester. I didn't know you ran
Lester---- I just started.
Jim---- Good for you.
Lester----I figured you guys might be able to give me some pointers. I need to shape up, fast.
Jim----Are you looking to just lose weight, or do you want to have... increased strength and flexibility as well ?

Lester---- I --- I want to look good naked.

Excerpted from American Beauty Script - transcript from the screenplay and/or Sam Mendes movie with Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Thora Birch, etc.

Enjoy the day, everyone, and keep on keepin' on! -------Albie
Old 02-03-2011, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Hey Mike,
Not meaning to proselytize too much, but have you looked into a Crossfit gym? There is one in Slidell. It may be the push to get thru the %BF issues.

The gyms are totally basic: free weights, pull ups/push ups, with a few "devices" like rowing machines, and back extention stands. The program is focused on muscle training that will help with in any sport. They do some sprinting, jump rope and for those way stronger than I can image, rope climbing and rings. But the coaches are great at toning it down for us mortals.

The program and gyms look intimidating at first and a little too testoserone pumped, but it is all about helping all the atheletes reach their potential, so the coaches are great (not warm and fuzzy, mind you, but really good a pulling your best effort out of you) How it all works is a little hard to expain in post and I found the website almost as intimating as the gym, but drop by the gym and check it out if you get a chance.

BTW I feel OK about preaching the Crossfit gosple here because I do so much preaching about FitDay there. Quid pro qou .

Pam
Pam,

I'm in the middle of a long program now. Once I finish this I'll look into something else. Either kettlebells, crossfit or maybe another round of P90X.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default Back and starting again.

Ugh! It's been four years and oh so much has changed. I was unemployed and really focused on weight loss. I lost 55 lbs and added some muscle. I got a job and got lazy. Couldn't drive past the McDonalds without stopping for breakfast.

Needless to say I've regained it all. I'm back to 241 lbs. and I had gotten myself down to 186 lbs. I hate the way I feel with this extra weight. It's not good on my knees.

What have I learned? Diets are temporary and that mindset has failure written all over it! I need to embrace a lifestyle change that goes on forever.

I'm going to have to learn that eating until I'm full is a road map to obesity. I can't tie my shoes without coming up for air and that's sad. Eating right is like smoking cessation...it's forever!

Here I go again...
Old 09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

So true! It's something to be aware of. It's gratifying (in a kind of sick way!) to know that this is true for just about everyone.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default Me Too...starting again.

I know we all have a tough period. I can't believe the last few years. In 2011 I lost 70lbs and was on my way to a better me. Well mom got sick and we drove 7hrs one way many weekend to see her. MIL moved in. Stopped exercising as taking care of others took priority. Lost and changed jobs. Mom passed. Diagnosed with cancer. Treatment and surgery. All's well now. Still taking care of MIL. Son got married. Job change again. So now its time to start taking care of me and my weight problem. Im right back where I was before I lost the 70 lbs. My promise to me is to take it one day at a time and focus on small goals. This weeks goal is to eat 3 meals a day with one snack and keep the calories at 1500/day.

Wishing you all good health.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

Right back at 'ya, Bubbs21! You've had quite a time, and you know you can do this again... I know you can!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:36 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, Bubbs21, you have had more than your fair share of obstacles. Glad you are back on track. You are certainly not alone.

It took me two attempts to give up smoking. Once I quit for 2 yrs and then started again. I told myself a lie. Said I'd only smoke rarely when having a drink. That lasted for a day or two and I was back to smoking a pack a day by the end of the week. It would be another 14 years. Now I know one cigarette is at least equal to 14 years of addiction. I've been smoke free now for over 5 years and I'm very confident it's for life.

Now, I'm taking a second run at managing my weight. I can't tell myself the lies like, "I'll go back to eating right next week" or "I'll get back to exercising next week". I now know that one week of bad food and skipping exercise is equal to at least 4 yrs and that's enough to erase anything previously achieved. If I can maintain my proper BMI for 4 years then I'll be confident that it's for life.

Although I'm counting calories and logging everything, my goal this time is to eventually break free of the tools and try to make my routine more second nature. I want my BMI to be a byproduct of living well...something that just happens. That's a lofty goal I know. It's not easy to replace decades of programming.

Good luck to us all!